Fw: [SpareOom] smoking and drinking and Narnia too!

  • Stolzi
    Message 1 of 2 , May 9, 2005
      > Tony Campolo shared the following encounter during the C. S.Lewis
      > conference held in Oxford last week:
      >
      > He boarded a train in Birmingham bound for Oxford and began preparing
      > for his sermon; as he did so a lady asked him where he was going, he
      > replied," to the C.S.Lewis Conference in Oxford." She responded
      > excitedly," Oh we are just getting into his writings at our church, he
      > is wonderful." "Just- getting into them?" enquired a puzzled Tony
      > Campolo. "Yes" she relied, "You see we are Plymouth Brethren and we
      > heard that he drank beer and smoked a pipe so we were not encouraged to
      > read him." "So what changed?" enquired Campolo. "Well he is dead now
      > isn't he." "Yes." replied Campolo. "but what has that to do with it?"
      > "Well he isn't drinking or smoking anymore is he."

      Diamond Proudbrook
      Message 2 of 2 , May 9, 2005
        On 3/1/1944, J.R.R. Tolkien wrote:

        'Peterborough' [a newspaper columnist], usually fairly reasonable, did
        [Lewis] the doubtful honour of a peculiarly misrepresentative and asinine
        paragraph in the Daily Telegraph of Tuesday last. It began 'Ascetic Mr
        Lewis'----!!! I ask you! He put away three pints in a very short session we
        had this morning, and said he was 'going short for Lent.'

        On a similar subject, Walter Hooper reports that in 1953 Bob Jones Jr. (of
        Bob Jones University) tried to get his mind around Lewis, and said:

        "That man smokes a pipe, and that man drinks liquor--but I do believe he is
        a Christian!"