Re: Tolkien book for Hildebrant fans, on sale

  • karlstar2
    Message 1 of 3 , May 6 3:02 PM
      Sounds good! It might be me you were referring to, I've check out
      some Hildebrandt stuff on the web, I'd like to own some myself. Moreso
      for the work they did for the Sword of Shannarra though.

      --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, "Elizabeth Apgar Triano"
      <lizziewriter@e...> wrote:
      > I was at Borders today, and for 5.99 or 6.99 I picked up a pretty
      hardcover
      > volume called _JRR Tolkien Architect of Middle Earth_ by Daniel
      Grotta with
      > illustrations by the Brothers Hildebrant. I know in the past year I have
      > spoken to someone who liked Hildebrant, but I have this nagging feeling
      > that it was not on Mythsoc. Anyway, the book may well not be scholarly
      > material, but it has a lot of white space, 15 illustrations (all the
      ones I
      > saw were in color) and would probably be a fun intro for an older
      child or
      > beginner adult who has seen the movies and wants to know a bit about
      > Tolkien. Or maybe not. Anyway it is a pretty book and it was cheap.
      >
      > Lizzie
      > Elizabeth Apgar Triano
      > lizziewriter@e...
      > amor vincit omnia
      > www.lizziewriter.com
      > www.danburymineralogicalsociety.org
    • Elizabeth Apgar Triano
      Message 2 of 3 , May 6 3:27 PM
        Mmm, no, James, I don't know that it was you. We were appreciating some of
        Hildebrandts treatment of the female form. Not that you don't appreciate
        it, of course, but you know what I mean.

        I still think Tolkien himself did the best Tolkien art, followed closely by
        Pauline Baynes. But then, I'm not a big follower of the
        Tolkien's-world-art genre.

        BTW the book is pretty dreadful I think. I can bring it next game and you
        can have a look! The art is worth more than the text.

        Lizzie

        Elizabeth Apgar Triano
        lizziewriter@...