Book of Invasions ?

  • Elizabeth Apgar Triano
    Message 1 of 2 , May 6 7:26 AM
      Ah, six large volumes, hmm, thanks for the warning! I have also heard that
      there was a Dover edition (with pictures) and a retelling in Lady Gregory's
      _Gods & Fighting Men_. Plus it's online. I couldn't find the Dover
      version at Amazon or the Dover site (yet) so I guess it's out of print.
      I'll be checking out the online version later. It's referenced in so many
      places that I should probably at least read the Cliff's Notes you might say.

      thanks,

      Lizzie

      Elizabeth Apgar Triano
      lizziewriter@...
      amor vincit omnia
      www.lizziewriter.com
      www.danburymineralogicalsociety.org

    • alexeik@aol.com
      Message 2 of 2 , May 6 10:44 AM
        In a message dated 5/6/5 3:32:05 PM, Lizzie Triano wrote:

        <<I have also heard that
        there was a Dover edition (with pictures) and a retelling in Lady Gregory's
        _Gods & Fighting Men_.>>

        I'm not sure what the Dover edition could have been. Bear in mind that the
        artist Jim Fitzpatrick did a kind of graphic-novel treatment of _The Book of
        Invasions_ which was very popular in the '80's [though not terribly faithful to
        the original]. Lady Gregory's _Gods and Fighting Men_ is mostly about Fionn Mac
        Cumhail; she does deal with some of the episodes in the LGÉ (the parts about
        the Tuatha Dé Danann and Lugh), but mostly uses other texts [like _Cath Maige
        Tuired_] as her source.
        What do you need to know about it?
        Alexei