Re: Re: [mythsoc] American Northernness

  • Elizabeth Apgar Triano
    Message 1 of 14 , May 6, 2005
      Splendid! Thank you, Alexei! I think I read one of those books early on,
      or a short story, and I always meant to get back to them. Orson Scott Card
      is a master storyteller isn't he? What's his background?

      Lizzie

      Elizabeth Apgar Triano
      lizziewriter@...
      amor vincit omnia
      www.lizziewriter.com
      www.danburymineralogicalsociety.org

      COULD
      > be done instead of how it could NOT be done, >>
      >
      > Actually, someone who *is* doing it is Orson Scott Card, in his "Alvin
      Maker"
      > series. He's doing it not by cannibalising the mythologies of culturally
      > alien Native peoples but by imagining an alternative America in which the
      great
      > themes that have been perceived (and given mythic resonance) in accounts
      of
      > American history are articulated in a different way that highlights their
      value as
      > myth.
      > Alexei

    • Stolzi
      Message 2 of 14 , May 6, 2005
        From: "Elizabeth Apgar Triano" <lizziewriter@...>

        > Splendid! Thank you, Alexei! I think I read one of those books early on,
        > or a short story, and I always meant to get back to them. Orson Scott
        Card
        > is a master storyteller isn't he? What's his background?

        Mormon (Latter Day Saints) - a church very focused upon events on the N.
        American continent.

        Diamond Proudbrook
      • Elizabeth Apgar Triano
        Message 3 of 14 , May 6, 2005
          OK. Does he have a profession other than writer-of-stories I guess should
          have been my question. Although yes that is a relevant answer, certes. I
          am thinking, like, David Brin (physicist), Isaac Asimov (some kind of
          sciencey background), C.S. Friedman (stage costuming, etc.), J.R.R. Tolkien
          (philologist).