*cross post* Book of Invasions ?

  • Elizabeth Apgar Triano
    Message 1 of 2 , May 5, 2005
      Isn't there a totally famous old Irish ms called The Book of Invasions?
      What else do I need to know about it to find it on amazon? I'll post this
      a few places and hope for a faster response that way.

      This is like looking up how to spell a word in the dictionary when you
      Really don't know how to spell it.

      Yesterday we went to the liquor store to find out how to spell
      "Manischewitz."

      Lizzie

      Elizabeth Apgar Triano
      lizziewriter@...
      amor vincit omnia
      www.lizziewriter.com
      www.danburymineralogicalsociety.org
    • alexeik@aol.com
      Message 2 of 2 , May 5, 2005
        In a message dated 5/5/5 11:40:54 PM, Lizzie Triano wrote:

        <<Isn't there a totally famous old Irish ms called The Book of Invasions?
        What else do I need to know about it to find it on amazon? I'll post this
        a few places and hope for a faster response that way.

        It's actually a text (_Lebor Gabála Érenn_) of which several versions exist
        in different manuscripts. The standard edition (bilingual, with Irish and
        English on facing pages) is by the Irish Texts Society, but it's something like six
        large volumes, so I don't know if it's something you'll want to jump up and
        order (if you're *really* that interested, you can get it from
        booksforscholars.com). You can also read translations of excerpts from it in the Cross &
        Slover anthology of early Irish literature.
        Alexei