Re: Re: [mythsoc] American Northernness

  • alexeik@aol.com
    Message 1 of 14 , May 5, 2005
      In a message dated 5/5/5 7:45:30 PM, Lizzie wrote:

      <<OK OK never mind. If anyone is interested in discussing how the idea COULD
      be done instead of how it could NOT be done, >>

      Actually, someone who *is* doing it is Orson Scott Card, in his "Alvin Maker"
      series. He's doing it not by cannibalising the mythologies of culturally
      alien Native peoples but by imagining an alternative America in which the great
      themes that have been perceived (and given mythic resonance) in accounts of
      American history are articulated in a different way that highlights their value as
      myth.
      Alexei
    • Elizabeth Apgar Triano
      Message 2 of 14 , May 6, 2005
        Splendid! Thank you, Alexei! I think I read one of those books early on,
        or a short story, and I always meant to get back to them. Orson Scott Card
        is a master storyteller isn't he? What's his background?

        Lizzie

        Elizabeth Apgar Triano
        lizziewriter@...
        amor vincit omnia
        www.lizziewriter.com
        www.danburymineralogicalsociety.org

      • Stolzi
        Message 3 of 14 , May 6, 2005
          From: "Elizabeth Apgar Triano" <lizziewriter@...>

          > Splendid! Thank you, Alexei! I think I read one of those books early on,
          > or a short story, and I always meant to get back to them. Orson Scott
          Card
          > is a master storyteller isn't he? What's his background?

          Mormon (Latter Day Saints) - a church very focused upon events on the N.
          American continent.

          Diamond Proudbrook
        • Elizabeth Apgar Triano
          Message 4 of 14 , May 6, 2005
            OK. Does he have a profession other than writer-of-stories I guess should
            have been my question. Although yes that is a relevant answer, certes. I
            am thinking, like, David Brin (physicist), Isaac Asimov (some kind of
            sciencey background), C.S. Friedman (stage costuming, etc.), J.R.R. Tolkien
            (philologist).