RE: [mythsoc] American Northernness

  • Croft, Janet B.
    Message 1 of 14 , May 5, 2005
      Well, I could see a mythology related more to a place than a people,
      which might be appropriate for a primarily immigrant population like
      that of North America. As a nation we don't have a unified mythology of
      "a people" to call on, but we do have concepts like "the West" or "the
      Frontier" or "the Colonies", more tied to a place than a people. So why
      not "the Great White North" -- and there probably is a mythos of sorts
      out there, since the phrase exists -- maybe Canadian and not as familiar
      to us south of the border. I think Orson Scott Card's Alvin Maker
      series might have touched on this, as well as Neil Gaiman's "American
      Gods", but it's been too long since I've read either. And IIRC Kim
      Stanly Robinson's Mars trilogy had some speculation on mythology of
      place for Mars, drawing on Bradbury.

      Janet Brennan Croft

      Message 2 of 14 , May 5, 2005
        In a message dated 5/5/5 7:45:30 PM, Lizzie wrote:

        <<OK OK never mind. If anyone is interested in discussing how the idea COULD
        be done instead of how it could NOT be done, >>

        Actually, someone who *is* doing it is Orson Scott Card, in his "Alvin Maker"
        series. He's doing it not by cannibalising the mythologies of culturally
        alien Native peoples but by imagining an alternative America in which the great
        themes that have been perceived (and given mythic resonance) in accounts of
        American history are articulated in a different way that highlights their value as
        myth.
        Alexei
      • Elizabeth Apgar Triano
        Message 3 of 14 , May 6, 2005
          Splendid! Thank you, Alexei! I think I read one of those books early on,
          or a short story, and I always meant to get back to them. Orson Scott Card
          is a master storyteller isn't he? What's his background?

          Lizzie

          Elizabeth Apgar Triano
          lizziewriter@...
          amor vincit omnia
          www.lizziewriter.com
          www.danburymineralogicalsociety.org

        • Stolzi
          Message 4 of 14 , May 6, 2005
            From: "Elizabeth Apgar Triano" <lizziewriter@...>

            > Splendid! Thank you, Alexei! I think I read one of those books early on,
            > or a short story, and I always meant to get back to them. Orson Scott
            Card
            > is a master storyteller isn't he? What's his background?

            Mormon (Latter Day Saints) - a church very focused upon events on the N.
            American continent.

            Diamond Proudbrook
          • Elizabeth Apgar Triano
            Message 5 of 14 , May 6, 2005
              OK. Does he have a profession other than writer-of-stories I guess should
              have been my question. Although yes that is a relevant answer, certes. I
              am thinking, like, David Brin (physicist), Isaac Asimov (some kind of
              sciencey background), C.S. Friedman (stage costuming, etc.), J.R.R. Tolkien
              (philologist).