Re: [mythsoc] American Northernness

  • Elizabeth Apgar Triano
    Message 1 of 14 , May 5, 2005
      OK OK never mind. If anyone is interested in discussing how the idea COULD
      be done instead of how it could NOT be done, I'll see you on
      DisaffectedMythies. Tolkien was a wonderful, wonderful genius, but I have
      to hope that there will be others of his stature.

      thanks,

      Lizzie

      Elizabeth Apgar Triano
      lizziewriter@...
      amor vincit omnia
      www.lizziewriter.com
      www.danburymineralogicalsociety.org
    • Croft, Janet B.
      Message 2 of 14 , May 5, 2005
        Well, I could see a mythology related more to a place than a people,
        which might be appropriate for a primarily immigrant population like
        that of North America. As a nation we don't have a unified mythology of
        "a people" to call on, but we do have concepts like "the West" or "the
        Frontier" or "the Colonies", more tied to a place than a people. So why
        not "the Great White North" -- and there probably is a mythos of sorts
        out there, since the phrase exists -- maybe Canadian and not as familiar
        to us south of the border. I think Orson Scott Card's Alvin Maker
        series might have touched on this, as well as Neil Gaiman's "American
        Gods", but it's been too long since I've read either. And IIRC Kim
        Stanly Robinson's Mars trilogy had some speculation on mythology of
        place for Mars, drawing on Bradbury.

        Janet Brennan Croft

        OK OK never mind. If anyone is interested in discussing how the idea
        COULD be done instead of how it could NOT be done, I'll see you on
        DisaffectedMythies. Tolkien was a wonderful, wonderful genius, but I
        have to hope that there will be others of his stature.

        thanks,

        Lizzie

        Elizabeth Apgar Triano
        lizziewriter@...
        amor vincit omnia
        www.lizziewriter.com
        www.danburymineralogicalsociety.org

        http://us.click.yahoo.com/S.QlOD/3MnJAA/Zx0JAA/DtIolB/TM

        Links
      • alexeik@aol.com
        Message 3 of 14 , May 5, 2005
          In a message dated 5/5/5 7:45:30 PM, Lizzie wrote:

          <<OK OK never mind. If anyone is interested in discussing how the idea COULD
          be done instead of how it could NOT be done, >>

          Actually, someone who *is* doing it is Orson Scott Card, in his "Alvin Maker"
          series. He's doing it not by cannibalising the mythologies of culturally
          alien Native peoples but by imagining an alternative America in which the great
          themes that have been perceived (and given mythic resonance) in accounts of
          American history are articulated in a different way that highlights their value as
          myth.
          Alexei
        • Elizabeth Apgar Triano
          Message 4 of 14 , May 6, 2005
            Splendid! Thank you, Alexei! I think I read one of those books early on,
            or a short story, and I always meant to get back to them. Orson Scott Card
            is a master storyteller isn't he? What's his background?

            Lizzie

            Elizabeth Apgar Triano
            lizziewriter@...
            amor vincit omnia
            www.lizziewriter.com
            www.danburymineralogicalsociety.org

          • Stolzi
            Message 5 of 14 , May 6, 2005
              From: "Elizabeth Apgar Triano" <lizziewriter@...>

              > Splendid! Thank you, Alexei! I think I read one of those books early on,
              > or a short story, and I always meant to get back to them. Orson Scott
              Card
              > is a master storyteller isn't he? What's his background?

              Mormon (Latter Day Saints) - a church very focused upon events on the N.
              American continent.

              Diamond Proudbrook
            • Elizabeth Apgar Triano
              Message 6 of 14 , May 6, 2005
                OK. Does he have a profession other than writer-of-stories I guess should
                have been my question. Although yes that is a relevant answer, certes. I
                am thinking, like, David Brin (physicist), Isaac Asimov (some kind of
                sciencey background), C.S. Friedman (stage costuming, etc.), J.R.R. Tolkien
                (philologist).