Re: [mythsoc] American Northernness

  • Mike Foster
    Message 1 of 14 , May 4, 2005
      Does anyone of translations of Tolkien into any Native American
      languages, please?

      Responding to a scholarly query....

      Thanks,
      Mike

      Elizabeth Apgar Triano wrote:

      >OK, a rambling post, yup
      >
      >(Did I already post my theory/query about how neat it would be if another
      >Tolkienesque genius came along and did for the New World continents what he
      >did for the UK? It could probably be done, but it wouldn't be easy.) The
      >land itself, and the nations before the Europeans came. Much mythic stuff
      >there, and it is being treated all the time, sure, but generally in a
      >specific or regional way. Or in a meaningless mishmash New Age way. The
      >matere is there, all we need is the genius to synthesize it.
      >
      >Now, I am still rolling with the New World theory, and I have recently
      >"discovered" Nunavut, the Canadian Inuit territory. The Inuit language has
      >its own Cyrillic characters, made me think of runes... and its own world
      >and language. I mean, it's not just translation, like going from French to
      >Spanish. There is a whole vista of "New World Northernness" (shades of
      >Sedna!) available out there.
      >
      >Lizzie
      >
      >Elizabeth Apgar Triano
      >lizziewriter@...
      >amor vincit omnia
      >www.lizziewriter.com
      >www.danburymineralogicalsociety.org

      >Yahoo! Groups Links

    • Elizabeth Apgar Triano
      Message 2 of 14 , May 4, 2005
        Yeah, I just read that it was derived from a shorthand symbol set. How
        unromantic. But perhaps I was reading outdated info. Someone had sent me
        an image of a Nunavut first day cover, and called it "Cyrillic" and I just
        copied their usage. I will keep reading.

        thanks

        Lizzie

        Elizabeth Apgar Triano
        lizziewriter@...
        amor vincit omnia
        www.lizziewriter.com
        www.danburymineralogicalsociety.org

      • Elizabeth Apgar Triano
        Message 3 of 14 , May 4, 2005
          *koff* Very good.

          Hm, yes, in the case of Tolkien, the Anglo invaders became the dominant
          force, as the Europeans did here, and he was recreating a mythos for that
          people, the way one might make one for the "melting pot." But I'd rather
          hear about the Celts and the Native Americans.

          Well, if we want all the oil and diamonds under those glaciers, we gotta
          get rid of them somehow.

          Lizzie

          Elizabeth Apgar Triano
          lizziewriter@...
          amor vincit omnia
          www.lizziewriter.com
          www.danburymineralogicalsociety.org

          Inuit.

          Message 4 of 14 , May 4, 2005
            In a message dated 5/4/2005 11:19:14 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
            lizziewriter@... writes:

            Hm, yes, in the case of Tolkien, the Anglo invaders became the dominant
            force, as the Europeans did here, and he was recreating a mythos for that
            people, the way one might make one for the "melting pot."

            The point is that Tolkien was at least partly descended from the peoples
            whose mythology he was trying to recreate. Most English people, with the
            exception of those whose ancestors obviously immigrated to England in the past
            century (mostly those of South Asian or Afro-Caribbean ancestry), have both
            Celtic and Anglo-Saxon (and probably Norman French) ancestry. Tolkien could thus
            be said to be recreating a mythos that he had some cultural and genetic
            connection to. It's hard to see how 95% of present-day North Americans could
            possibly be able to claim that they were recreating their "own" mythos if they
            were to attempt to recreate the mythology of the native peoples of North
            America.

            Message 5 of 14 , May 4, 2005
              At 04:51 PM 5/4/2005 -0400, Lizzie wrote:

              >Hm, yes, in the case of Tolkien, the Anglo invaders became the dominant
              >force, as the Europeans did here, and he was recreating a mythos for that
              >people, the way one might make one for the "melting pot."

              Tolkien wasn't intending a mythos for the melting pot. He was intending
              one for his people, the English. That others have enjoyed it is wonderful,
              but it wasn't his original intent back in 1916.

              >But I'd rather
              >hear about the Celts and the Native Americans.

              Don't look to Tolkien for either of those (except a little Welsh linguistic
              influence in Sindarin). He was rather put out at an early reader's
              description of the Silmarillion's "eye-splitting Celtic names." He
              replied, "Needless to say [the names] are not Celtic! Neither are the
              tales. I do know Celtic things (many in their original languages Irish and
              Welsh), and feel for them a certain distate," and he goes on to explain why
              (Letters p. 26). At another time he said his aim was to achieve "the fair
              elusive beauty that some call Celtic, though it is rarely found in genuine
              ancient Celtic things." (Letters p. 144)

              David Bratman
            • Elizabeth Apgar Triano
              Message 6 of 14 , May 5, 2005
                OK OK never mind. If anyone is interested in discussing how the idea COULD
                be done instead of how it could NOT be done, I'll see you on
                DisaffectedMythies. Tolkien was a wonderful, wonderful genius, but I have
                to hope that there will be others of his stature.

                thanks,

                Lizzie

                Elizabeth Apgar Triano
                lizziewriter@...
                amor vincit omnia
                www.lizziewriter.com
                www.danburymineralogicalsociety.org
              • Croft, Janet B.
                Message 7 of 14 , May 5, 2005
                  Well, I could see a mythology related more to a place than a people,
                  which might be appropriate for a primarily immigrant population like
                  that of North America. As a nation we don't have a unified mythology of
                  "a people" to call on, but we do have concepts like "the West" or "the
                  Frontier" or "the Colonies", more tied to a place than a people. So why
                  not "the Great White North" -- and there probably is a mythos of sorts
                  out there, since the phrase exists -- maybe Canadian and not as familiar
                  to us south of the border. I think Orson Scott Card's Alvin Maker
                  series might have touched on this, as well as Neil Gaiman's "American
                  Gods", but it's been too long since I've read either. And IIRC Kim
                  Stanly Robinson's Mars trilogy had some speculation on mythology of
                  place for Mars, drawing on Bradbury.

                  Janet Brennan Croft

                  OK OK never mind. If anyone is interested in discussing how the idea
                  COULD be done instead of how it could NOT be done, I'll see you on
                  DisaffectedMythies. Tolkien was a wonderful, wonderful genius, but I
                  have to hope that there will be others of his stature.

                  thanks,

                  Lizzie

                  Elizabeth Apgar Triano
                  lizziewriter@...
                  amor vincit omnia
                  www.lizziewriter.com
                  www.danburymineralogicalsociety.org

                  http://us.click.yahoo.com/S.QlOD/3MnJAA/Zx0JAA/DtIolB/TM

                  Links
                • alexeik@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 14 , May 5, 2005
                    In a message dated 5/5/5 7:45:30 PM, Lizzie wrote:

                    <<OK OK never mind. If anyone is interested in discussing how the idea COULD
                    be done instead of how it could NOT be done, >>

                    Actually, someone who *is* doing it is Orson Scott Card, in his "Alvin Maker"
                    series. He's doing it not by cannibalising the mythologies of culturally
                    alien Native peoples but by imagining an alternative America in which the great
                    themes that have been perceived (and given mythic resonance) in accounts of
                    American history are articulated in a different way that highlights their value as
                    myth.
                    Alexei
                  • Elizabeth Apgar Triano
                    Message 9 of 14 , May 6, 2005
                      Splendid! Thank you, Alexei! I think I read one of those books early on,
                      or a short story, and I always meant to get back to them. Orson Scott Card
                      is a master storyteller isn't he? What's his background?

                      Lizzie

                      Elizabeth Apgar Triano
                      lizziewriter@...
                      amor vincit omnia
                      www.lizziewriter.com
                      www.danburymineralogicalsociety.org

                    • Stolzi
                      Message 10 of 14 , May 6, 2005
                        From: "Elizabeth Apgar Triano" <lizziewriter@...>

                        > Splendid! Thank you, Alexei! I think I read one of those books early on,
                        > or a short story, and I always meant to get back to them. Orson Scott
                        Card
                        > is a master storyteller isn't he? What's his background?

                        Mormon (Latter Day Saints) - a church very focused upon events on the N.
                        American continent.

                        Diamond Proudbrook
                      • Elizabeth Apgar Triano
                        Message 11 of 14 , May 6, 2005
                          OK. Does he have a profession other than writer-of-stories I guess should
                          have been my question. Although yes that is a relevant answer, certes. I
                          am thinking, like, David Brin (physicist), Isaac Asimov (some kind of
                          sciencey background), C.S. Friedman (stage costuming, etc.), J.R.R. Tolkien
                          (philologist).