Narnia movie

  • Patrick H. Wynne
    Message 1 of 6 , May 3, 2005
      Something to put on your to-do list for this weekend, according to
      USA Today:

      "When the first trailer for The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, the
      Witch and the Wardrobe makes its U.S. premiere Saturday night
      during ABC's showing of Harry Potter and the Chamber of
      Secrets— airing at the same time in 30-plus countries —
      viewers are apt to gaze in wonder. And be taken aback."

      http://www.usatoday.com/life/movies/news/2005-05-02-narnia_x.htm

      The article also includes the de rigueur Stupid Misstatement About
      Allegory in Narnia (which I believe was Federally mandated by Congress
      as a rider to the bill requiring that Snoop Dogg appear in 65% of all
      movies and videogames):

      "The tales also are infused with Christian allegory, and the heroic
      Aslan is meant as a Christ figure, a redeemer who resurrects in
      triumph."

      No, USA Today, Aslan in Narnia IS Christ, as He manifests Himself in
      an another world.
      Grrr.

      — Pat
    • Stolzi
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 7, 2005
        Many things change by the time a film is released, but I note with some
        alarm that at http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0363771/fullcredits, one of the
        listed cast members is "Adult Susan." (as are also listed "Adult Peter,"
        "Adult Lucy," and "Adult Edmund.")

        In an amazing bit of "Inklings magic", the part of "Centaur #3" is played by
        ... Charles Williams! :)

        Diamond Proudbrook
      • Margaret Dean
        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 7, 2005
          Stolzi wrote:

          > Many things change by the time a film is released, but I note with some
          > alarm that at http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0363771/fullcredits, one of the
          > listed cast members is "Adult Susan." (as are also listed "Adult Peter,"
          > "Adult Lucy," and "Adult Edmund.")

          Wouldn't they need those parts for the end of the book/movie,
          when the four of them have been ruling in Narnia long enough to
          grow into adults? Presumably they'd be shown hunting the white
          deer, etc. ... and then when they pass back into our world,
          they're children again.

          > In an amazing bit of "Inklings magic", the part of "Centaur #3" is played by
          > ... Charles Williams! :)

          :)

          --Margaret Dean
          <margdean@...>
        • Stolzi
          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 7, 2005
            From: "Margaret Dean" <margdean@...>

            > Wouldn't they need those parts for the end of the book/movie,
            > when the four of them have been ruling in Narnia long enough to
            > grow into adults? Presumably they'd be shown hunting the white
            > deer, etc. ... and then when they pass back into our world,
            > they're children again.

            Oh gosh, Margaret you're right. I'd been envisaging a "framing scene" in
            England, with the adults discussing their childhood and maybe even Susan
            showing first seeds of disbelief. Susan's been on my mind since Grace Monk
            gave a paper about her at Past Watchful Dragons.

            I guess I would have called those actors "King Peter" rather than "Adult
            Peter," etc. if I'd been writing the cast list.

            Diamond Proudbrook
          • Margaret Dean
            Message 5 of 6 , Nov 7, 2005
              Stolzi wrote:

> [...]

              Good point, and it very well may be as you say (No, I don't trust
              moviemakers an inch, why do you ask? :)). But it wouldn't =have=
              to be.

              --Margaret Dean
              <margdean@...>