article on Christopher Tolkien

  • Vincent Ferré
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 30, 2005
      Good evening,

      I have been asked by the director of a publication project on Fantasy to write (among other entries) a short text on Christopher Tolkien. But "apart" from his editorial work, which will be the core of my paper, I do not know many things (biography, academic career) about him. Does anyone know where I could find such information ?

      thanks in advance,

      Vincent Ferré

    • Carl F. Hostetter
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 30, 2005
        You can find some biographical information in Carpenter's edition of
        Tolkien's _Letters_, and in Carpenter's _Biography_ of Tolkien. I think
        there are also some details to be gleaned in Hooper's _C.S. Lewis
        Companion_.

        Douglas Anderson prepared a bibliography for Flieger and Hostetter,
        eds., _Tolkien's Legendarium_.

        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 30, 2005
          A fair amount about Christopher Tolkien's biography can be gleaned from
          Humphrey Carpenter's biography of his father and Carpenter's book on the
          Inklings. (The latter has a tiny bio of him in an appendix.)

          A bibliography by Douglas A. Anderson in "Tolkien's Legendarium" (ed.
          Flieger & Hostetter) identifies his non-JRRT published work also.

          Carpenter's tiny bio omits some dates, so I can tell you from my own
          research that CT received his B.A. in English from Oxford in 1949, taught
          English language and Old Norse at several Oxford colleges in succeeding
          years, and held a fellowship at New College 1965-1975, which he resigned to
          devote to his editing work. During his Oxford career he published work
          (mostly philological) on Norse sagas and Chaucer.

          David Bratman

          Message 4 of 4 , May 1, 2005
            Many thanks, David & Carl. I had thought of the Letters (I've just finished translating them into French) and of the Legendarium, but not of the Inklings (!) nor C.S. Lewis
            Companion.
            And thanks, too, for the additional information, David.
            Thanks very much, and I'll let you know when the (short) "paper"'s finished

            all the best,

            Vincent