Re: [mythsoc] Re: Less Forbidden Romance Than Promised

    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 28 9:31 PM
      At 02:15 AM 4/28/2005 +0000, Michael Martinez wrote:

      >I wonder. If someone were to do the story of Beren and Luthien, how
      >much romance would be appropriate, and how much war?
      >
      >And should it have a historical epic feel to it?

      Tolkien never wrote a completed, successful full-length version of Beren
      and Luthien, so on these questions I'd be more willing to defer to a
      film-maker's judgment and taste.

      [re: Gandalf and Frodo discussing Mercy; Theoden reciting Ride of Eorl]
      >Both scenes stepped out of Tolkien's story and into their own story.
      >Peter was stealing dialogue from other parts of the literary story to
      >tell his own story. He wasn't trying to be faithful to Tolkien, he
      >was trying to be faithful to his vision of those characters'
      >motivations.

      Those scenes struck me as extremely faithful to Tolkien - among the few
      bits of the films that were. They were recast and moved around as you say,
      but to my mind faithfulness does not mean "exact replication of the details
      of the plot." It means to convey the book's spirit. Here, and in a few
      other places, Jackson did so - increasing the heartbreak at viewing the
      many places where he did not.

      As Janet wrote, "Wormtongue's non-canonical scene with Éowyn at Theodred's
      deathbed worked pretty well for me because it seemed well within the
      character of each, and was a "show, don't tell" scene with a basis in what
      we later hear Gandalf say about her character." I agree, even though this
      scene was invented by Jackson to an extent which the two scenes you mention
      were not. It's all about being true to character.

      >To put it another way, what if someone just did a movie about Aragorn
      >and Arwen, and the War of the Ring only came into it occasionally?
      >Why would that be so bad?

      It wouldn't be bad if someone wrote a piece of fan-fiction about their
      romance - or no worse than any other piece of fan-fiction. The difference
      with movies is that they tend to claim to cover the whole book.

      >It's okay to tell part of the story with history, but not with
      >fantasy? That makes no sense to me.

      I read LOTR as having a historical air lacking in The Silmarillion, which
      has a mythological air instead. The separation doesn't bother me.

      >Does the requirement that
      >travelers in Rohan (at that time) speak Rohirric count as a
      >shibboleth?

      Don't see why it shouldn't.

      David Bratman