Tolkien book for Hildebrant fans, on sale

  • Elizabeth Apgar Triano
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 28, 2005
      I was at Borders today, and for 5.99 or 6.99 I picked up a pretty hardcover
      volume called _JRR Tolkien Architect of Middle Earth_ by Daniel Grotta with
      illustrations by the Brothers Hildebrant. I know in the past year I have
      spoken to someone who liked Hildebrant, but I have this nagging feeling
      that it was not on Mythsoc. Anyway, the book may well not be scholarly
      material, but it has a lot of white space, 15 illustrations (all the ones I
      saw were in color) and would probably be a fun intro for an older child or
      beginner adult who has seen the movies and wants to know a bit about
      Tolkien. Or maybe not. Anyway it is a pretty book and it was cheap.

      Lizzie

      Elizabeth Apgar Triano
      lizziewriter@...
      amor vincit omnia
      www.lizziewriter.com
      www.danburymineralogicalsociety.org
    • karlstar2
      Message 2 of 3 , May 6 3:02 PM
        Sounds good! It might be me you were referring to, I've check out
        some Hildebrandt stuff on the web, I'd like to own some myself. Moreso
        for the work they did for the Sword of Shannarra though.

        --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, "Elizabeth Apgar Triano"

        Message 3 of 3 , May 6 3:27 PM
          Mmm, no, James, I don't know that it was you. We were appreciating some of
          Hildebrandts treatment of the female form. Not that you don't appreciate
          it, of course, but you know what I mean.

          I still think Tolkien himself did the best Tolkien art, followed closely by
          Pauline Baynes. But then, I'm not a big follower of the
          Tolkien's-world-art genre.

          BTW the book is pretty dreadful I think. I can bring it next game and you
          can have a look! The art is worth more than the text.