Re: MERP essay - Hobbitry-in-Armchairs: Philandering Tolkien's Philology

  • Michael Martinez
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 27, 2005
      --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, "Elizabeth Apgar Triano"
      <lizziewriter@e...> wrote:

      > Thanks!
      >
      > The folk of ME don't talk much about Eru or the Valar, even
      > less than we talk about the air (but we do, as weather,
      > pollen, etc.) or gravity. But they are there nonetheless.

      Paul Kocher, in MASTER OF MIDDLE-EARTH, noted that one is as likely
      to be told what the weather was like on a given day in THE LORD OF
      THE RINGS as anything else. And yet hardly do the characters seem to
      speak of it, except when "there are fell voices are on the air".

      We take much for granted, without asking whether it was indeed
      granted or earned or stolen or perhaps merely lost by the wayside.

      Now, if we could only tie the Witch of Endor to, say, Thuringwethil.
      But I am curious about something. When Aragorn, Legolas, and Gimli
      meet Eomer and the Riders of Rohan, Eomer addresses them in Rohirric,
      which only Aragorn speaks (apparently). Does the requirement that
      travelers in Rohan (at that time) speak Rohirric count as a
      shibboleth?

      --
      Michael Martinez
      Author of Understanding Middle-earth, Parma Endorion, and Visualizing