RE: [mythsoc] MERP essay - Hobbitry-in-Armchairs: Philandering Tolkien's Philology

  • Elizabeth Apgar Triano
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 26 7:31 AM
      Thanks!

      The folk of ME don't talk much about Eru or the Valar, even less than we
      talk about the air (but we do, as weather, pollen, etc.) or gravity. But
      they are there nonetheless.

      Lizzie

      Elizabeth Apgar Triano
      lizziewriter@...
      amor vincit omnia
      www.lizziewriter.com
      www.danburymineralogicalsociety.org

      Tolkien's Philology

      > I thought some of you might enjoy this (or, maybe, enjoy taking me to
      > task for it). I am trying to check the list 2-3 times a week, so
      > please be patient if anyone follows up and I don't reply immediately.

    • Michael Martinez
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 27 6:52 PM
        --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, "Elizabeth Apgar Triano"
        <lizziewriter@e...> wrote:

        > Thanks!
        >
        > The folk of ME don't talk much about Eru or the Valar, even
        > less than we talk about the air (but we do, as weather,
        > pollen, etc.) or gravity. But they are there nonetheless.

        Paul Kocher, in MASTER OF MIDDLE-EARTH, noted that one is as likely
        to be told what the weather was like on a given day in THE LORD OF
        THE RINGS as anything else. And yet hardly do the characters seem to
        speak of it, except when "there are fell voices are on the air".

        We take much for granted, without asking whether it was indeed
        granted or earned or stolen or perhaps merely lost by the wayside.

        Now, if we could only tie the Witch of Endor to, say, Thuringwethil.
        But I am curious about something. When Aragorn, Legolas, and Gimli
        meet Eomer and the Riders of Rohan, Eomer addresses them in Rohirric,
        which only Aragorn speaks (apparently). Does the requirement that
        travelers in Rohan (at that time) speak Rohirric count as a
        shibboleth?

        --
        Michael Martinez
        Author of Understanding Middle-earth, Parma Endorion, and Visualizing