To the Professor: Essays in Honor of Tolkien

  • Anthony and Jessica
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 22, 2005
      Greetings friends:
      It is our hope all is well. Jessica and I are both fond admirers and
      students of the works from many of the scholars here at MythSoc i.e.
      Carl Hostetter, Janet Croft, David Bratman, Mike Foster, Amy
      Sturgis, Dan Timmons, Jane Chance--the list goes on and on. We have
      learned ALOT from each and every one of you. We would both be
      honored if some, if not all of you would consider participating in
      our book project. I have cut and pasted the information from our
      website below. The URL is there for links to submission guidelines
      and contact information.
      We look forward to hearing from you all
      With Thanks!
      Anthony
      Chairman NorthEast Tolkien Society (formerly the NY Tolkien Society)
      :
      http://herenistarion.org/parmanole/TotheProfessor.html
      To the Professor:
      Inspirations on the Question
      Why Tolkien?

      Tolkien, for so many of us, has been a life-changing influence. For
      many who seek out the fellowship of other Tolkien fans, Tolkien has
      been a teacher both profound and awe-inspiring. Without his great
      legacy --his wonderful works of Middle-earth--we would not be the
      individuals we are today.

      In a world so driven and filled with the machine--the birthright of
      Saruman's children--we happy few at Heren Istarion: The Northeast
      Tolkien Society would like to band together with our fellow Tolkien
      fans, and show our appreciation for what the Professor has done for
      each of us.

      The inspiration for this project, which will be based on the
      column "Why Tolkien?" which appears in our journal Parma Nole, came
      from a recent email received by Anthony and myself. This email came
      from an organization seeking to produce a collection of letters all
      based on an appreciation for The Lord of the Rings. The project
      sounded inspiring, refreshing, and exactly what The Northeast
      Tolkien Society should laud from the highest rooftop . . . until we
      understood to whom the letters would be written: Peter Jackson.

      Ahem ...pardon me?

      Unfortunately there was no joke. I had a slew of thoughts, basically
      repetitions of the question: why him? Why not Tolkien? I never
      received an answer to my questions, except for the organizers to say
      that they were all Tolkien fans as well. What a relief ... but,
      still, why Jackson? Why not Tolkien? Has the good Professor ceased
      to inspire?

      As The Gathering of the Fellowship announces the participation of
      The Northeast Tolkien Society as Directors of Programming, we've all
      decided that a collection of inspired thoughts on Tolkien would be
      exactly what our misguided world needs--a getting back to the roots,
      as it were, a remembrance dedicated to he who started it all. And
      so, To the Professor was born.

      What is To the Professor?
      And how can I participate?

      To the Professor will be a collection of pieces aimed at answering
      the question "Why Tolkien?" What is it about Tolkien's life &/or
      works that has inspired you in your own life?
      We are seeking musings on this question from a wide range of
      printable media.
      Please do not send anything that cannot be printed in book form. All
      submissions must explore the resonance of Tolkien in our own
      individual lives. We are actively seeking:

      Poetry

      Prose

      Stories--NOT fan fiction--we are seeking anecdotal tales about what
      Tolkien means to you personally. Fan fiction will NOT be accepted in
      any form.

      Song

      Essays

      Drawings, paintings, photos--please don't send originals; we accept
      images in ONLY ".jpg" or ".gif" formats. For initial submissions,
      please send images at 200 dpi or less. If accepted, a higher
      resolution format will be requested.

      originally achieved artist renderings which are NOT copies of recent
      film icons in any way
      All submissions must be received no later than July 1st 2005. No
      submissions will be accepted after this date: no exceptions! Please
      refer to our guidelines for submission to our journal Parma Nole
      with regards to formatting your text.

      You will be notified via email if your entry is accepted for
      publication.
      NOTE: To the Professor is a not-for-profit project. If your work is
      accepted for publication, the artist/author retains all rights.
      However, by submitting your work, you are allowing Heren Istarion:
      The Northeast Tolkien Society to print your material in the
      collection outlined above at no cost to Heren Istarion or to The
      Gathering of the Fellowship. If your work is accepted, a contract
      will be sent to you.

      If you have any further questions, queries, thoughts etc, please
      feel free to contact NorthEast Tolkien Society Cochair Jessica Burke

      -----------
    • Michael Martinez
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 27, 2005
        --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, "Anthony and Jessica"
        <herenistarion@y...> wrote:

        > Greetings friends:
        > It is our hope all is well. Jessica and I are both fond admirers
        and
        > students of the works from many of the scholars here at MythSoc
        i.e.
        > Carl Hostetter, Janet Croft, David Bratman, Mike Foster, Amy
        > Sturgis, Dan Timmons, Jane Chance--the list goes on and on. We have
        > learned ALOT from each and every one of you. We would both be
        > honored if some, if not all of you would consider participating in
        > our book project. I have cut and pasted the information from our
        > website below. The URL is there for links to submission guidelines
        > and contact information.
        > We look forward to hearing from you all
        > With Thanks!
        > Anthony
        > Chairman NorthEast Tolkien Society (formerly the NY Tolkien Society)
        > :
        > http://herenistarion.org/parmanole/TotheProfessor.html
        > To the Professor:
        > Inspirations on the Question
        > Why Tolkien?

        "Before long the invitations began pouring out, and the Hobbiton post-
        office was blocked, and the Bywater post-office was snowed under, and
        voluntary assistant postmen were called for. There was a constant
        stream of them going up the Hill, carrying hundreds of polite
        variations on THANK YOU, I SHALL CERTAINLY COME."

        You ever wonder how they managed to pay the full-time professional
        postmen to begin with?

        --
        Michael Martinez
        Author of Understanding Middle-earth, Parma Endorion, and Visualizing
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 27, 2005
          Anthony & Jessica,
          On Shire postal service, see the paper by Lester Simons [bless his
          memory] in Centenary proceedings--a fine mix of amusement & scholarship.

          Mike