Kingdom of Heaven

  • Croft, Janet B.
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 20, 2005
      Grrr-making comment in review of Kingdom of Heaven
      (http://www.usatoday.com/life/movies/news/2005-04-19-epics_x.htm), new
      film with Orlando "I'm Still the Cutest One in the Fellowship" Bloom:

      "Even the blockbuster The Lord of the Rings trilogy - more fantastical
      epic than historical epic - recognized the importance of tempering war
      with love. Director Peter Jackson added scenes with Liv Tyler's elvin
      princess, exploring her forbidden romance with human warrior Aragorn in
      ways the J.R.R. Tolkien books never did."

      Forbidden romance?! Only in Jackson's universe...

      Janet
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 20, 2005
        At 02:42 PM 4/20/2005 -0500, some movie-puff writer wrote:

        >"Even the blockbuster The Lord of the Rings trilogy - more fantastical
        >epic than historical epic

        That would annoy Jackson, who was trying for the historical-film feel.

        > - recognized the importance of tempering war
        >with love.

        "Even" it, as if that were the last thing one expected?

        >Director Peter Jackson added scenes with Liv Tyler's elvin
        >princess, exploring her forbidden romance with human warrior Aragorn in
        >ways the J.R.R. Tolkien books never did."

        They certainly didn't.

        But doesn't that phrasing seem to promise a lot more than we actually got?

        - DB