Re: [mythsoc] Narnia reading order

    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 19 9:18 AM
      At 12:04 PM 4/19/2005 -0400, pond wrote:

      >I wonder if anyone knows if
      >Lewis intended the books as a series from the get-go, or whether he just
      >penned
      >LWW and, when it was a success (or because he enjoyed the tale and its
      >creations
      >so much) carried on, and on.

      It was not planned. Lewis had no idea where LWW was going to go when he
      thought of the story's beginning, and the sequels - at least the earlier
      ones - were written without prior awareness that a sequel had to come. Nor
      were they a response to success, as all of the first five - LWW, Prince
      Caspian, Voyage, Silver Chair, and Horse - had been written before LWW was
      published. The impetus was just the desire to write them. Only the
      bookends, Magician's Nephew & Last Battle, seem to have been planned as
      such, and they came last. I doubt very much that Lewis had any idea of how
      Narnia had come to be when he wrote LWW. To my mind, this shows in the
      work, and Nephew suffers from being forced to explain things that
      originally had no explanation.

      David Bratman