Re: [mythsoc] Owen Barfield in the media

  • Carl F. Hostetter
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 17, 2005
      Mm, no, I rather think Mr. Sullivan is calling anyone who would write
      this:

      "Since I have a happy weakness for metaphysical speculation, a cellular
      certainty that what we see is not all there is, I thought I detected in
      some of his writings signs of the old hunt for a knowledge beyond
      knowingness, for an understanding that is more than merely brilliant. I
      was not altogether surprised when our first meeting moved swiftly
      toward an unembarrassed conversation about spirituality."

      a poseur. And rightly so.

      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 17, 2005
        At 07:19 AM 4/17/2005 -0400, Carl F. Hostetter wrote:

        >Mm, no, I rather think Mr. Sullivan is calling anyone who would write
        >this:

        Sullivan didn't limit himself to quoting that part. I think the name-drops
        of intended conversational familiarity with the philosophies of Barfield
        and Arendt is part of the effect that Sullivan is pointing at.

        I don't say Sullivan's reaction is wrong. I can discuss Barfield myself,
        but I would have to be feeling mighty puffed to write something like what
        he quoted. I doubt the actual conversation was as ethereal as depicted,
        and probably consisted just of passing references.

        - David Bratman