Owen Barfield in the media

    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 17 12:29 AM
      <http://www.tnr.com/doc.mhtml?i=20050425&s=diarist042505>

      Here we see that Saul Bellow was able and willing to talk about the
      philosophy of Owen Barfield, CSL's friend and fellow Inkling.

      <http://www.andrewsullivan.com/index.php?dish_inc=archives/2005_04_10_dish_a
      rchive.html#111367132235283458>

      Here we see Andrew Sullivan calling people who talk about discussing Owen
      Barfield with Saul Bellow "poseurs."

      - David Bratman
    • Carl F. Hostetter
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 17 4:19 AM
        Mm, no, I rather think Mr. Sullivan is calling anyone who would write
        this:

        "Since I have a happy weakness for metaphysical speculation, a cellular
        certainty that what we see is not all there is, I thought I detected in
        some of his writings signs of the old hunt for a knowledge beyond
        knowingness, for an understanding that is more than merely brilliant. I
        was not altogether surprised when our first meeting moved swiftly
        toward an unembarrassed conversation about spirituality."

        a poseur. And rightly so.

        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 17 9:54 AM
          At 07:19 AM 4/17/2005 -0400, Carl F. Hostetter wrote:

          >Mm, no, I rather think Mr. Sullivan is calling anyone who would write
          >this:

          Sullivan didn't limit himself to quoting that part. I think the name-drops
          of intended conversational familiarity with the philosophies of Barfield
          and Arendt is part of the effect that Sullivan is pointing at.

          I don't say Sullivan's reaction is wrong. I can discuss Barfield myself,
          but I would have to be feeling mighty puffed to write something like what
          he quoted. I doubt the actual conversation was as ethereal as depicted,
          and probably consisted just of passing references.

          - David Bratman