Re: beauty

  • Katie Glick
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 13, 2005
      Lizzie wrote:

      > Tolkien had beauty almost everywhere, but I don't think he often came out
      > and said so... he showed, rather than told, unless I misremember. Beauty
      > is accepted as an aspect of goodness, even of the divine, in his work

      But beauty is also an aspect of evil in Tolkien. Remember that in the
      beginning Sauron himself was beautiful and charming and that, in fact
      was how he was able to create the rings in the first place, by
      charming the relevant people. See also Saruman's voice, which is
      beautiful, but is used for evil. So beauty in Tolkien can be
      dangerous. Even Galadriel, in her vision of what would happen if she
      took the ring has a beauty that is terrifying rather than
      awe-inspiring, and in that vision men kill and die for her because she
      is so beautiful (and powerful).

      Maybe it's that things that are good are beautiful because they are
      good and beauty as a mere physical aspect has nothing to do with it.
      In that sense beauty has two different meanings altogether. The beauty
      that is derived from goodness, and a surface physical beauty that is a
      lesser and completely different thing.

      Also, perhaps, despite what something starts out as, if it is evil or
      corrupted it will eventually become tainted ... like Sauron, Gollum,
      Mirkwood.

      -kt