Things that were lost Re: [mythsoc] Re: The people for the myth ?

  • Elizabeth Apgar Triano
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 12, 2005
      I had a lucid question last night, but it was after I shut down the
      computer and it hasn't come back yet.

      So now I have two of my usual muddled questions. I am looking for answers
      either of the personal speculation sort, or of the "such-and-such an author
      created an interesting mythos on the topic" sort. Tolkien and the Inklings
      worked with languages and culture; other writers work more with the natural
      sciences as a base for their vision and fiction. It is the latter that I
      am thinking about.

      1. Scientific studies show more and more that "lower" animals observe and
      communicate in ways that we cannot directly observe -- hammerhead sharks,
      for example, attack transatlantic cables because they detect the
      electromagnetic fields (I may have some of these details a little off) the
      same way they detect the fields of living creatures. Butterflies see UV
      patterns on flowers, where we can only see visible-spectrum color. We call
      it "visible spectrum" but that's kind of homocentric isn't it then? Could
      we have lost some kinds of, I hate to call it extra-sensory perception, but
      additional sensitivities, and be making up for it with all our "things"?
      If higher life forms had those senses, would they not need to write and
      create "things" so much?

      Well, the second question will have to wait. While I was trying to nail
      down the first, the second one got away. I'll post it later, if it comes
      back.

      thanks,

      Elizabeth Apgar Triano
      lizziewriter@...