More on LOA's Lovecraft volume

  • Matthew Winslow
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 8, 2005
      The following is from a newsletter from the Library of America.

      ----- Forwarded message from Library of America News <lists@...> -----

      > Date: Fri, 8 Apr 2005 12:55:00 -0700 (PDT)
      > From: Library of America News <lists@...>
      <snip>
      > BACK IN BLACK: H. P. LOVECRAFT CONTINUES TO SCARE UP NEW READERS
      >
      > Although there are still scattered copies available in bookstores and
      > through online sellers, the first printing of H. P. LOVECRAFT: TALES
      > has sold out--only a month after its publication. (The reprint is due
      > to arrive in mid-April.)
      >
      > Edited by best-selling author Peter Straub, the collection of 22
      > stories and novellas--including "The Dunwich Horror" and "At the
      > Mountains of Madness"--has been an extraordinary hit with critics and
      > readers. "It looks like [Lovecraft is] finally winning some
      > long-overdue respect and recognition," said a reviewer in The
      > Nation. A starred review in Publishers Weekly hailed Lovecraft as "the
      > most important U.S. horror writer since Edgar Allan Poe and a big
      > influence on nearly every major figure in the genre after his day."
      > The Weekly Standard agreed, calling Lovecraft "the most important
      > American writer of weird fiction in the twentieth century -and one of
      > the century's most influential writers of any kind of fiction." And
      > Kirkus Reviews exclaimed, "A landmark that lifts Lovecraft from pulp
      > to Poe as a master of macabre fantasy and horror. . . . Black-robed by
      > The Library of America, the real King rises from darkness in his
      > homeland. His reputation glows abroad."
      >
      > Reviewers also universally agree that the new edition is the best
      > available. The Kansas City Star praises the Library of America edition
      > as "the best single-volume overview of what Lovecraft was all
      > about-strangeness, fear, wonder." USA Today advises, "To readers
      > interested in delving into fright for the first time, there is no
      > better starting point." And the volume is getting noticed even across
      > the Atlantic: TLS declares, "Thanks to the Library of America, we can
      > place H. P. Lovecraft on the shelf next to the uniform edition of
      > Henry James as well as of Edgar Allan Poe."
      >
      > For more information about this volume, go to:
      >
      > http://www.loa.org/volume.jsp?RequestID=223

      ----- End forwarded message -----

      "You cannot evade the issue of God. Whether you talk about pigs or binomial
      theory, you are still talking about Him."
      --G.K. Chesterton
      Currently reading: The Memoirs of Jonathan Edwards