Re: [mythsoc] The people for the myth ?

  • Elizabeth Apgar Triano
    Message 1 of 22 , Apr 6 12:33 PM
      But I don't get it. If the English are Angles (and Saxons) what about all
      the lovely Northern tales? They stayed on the Continent I suppose? The
      household gods of the settled raiders rusted in the British climate?

      Lizzie

      Elizabeth Apgar Triano
      lizziewriter@...
      amor vincit omnia
      www.lizziewriter.com
      www.danburymineralogicalsociety.org

      Message 2 of 22 , Apr 7 10:50 PM
        Lizzie -

        The English HAD tales and myths. But they got losted.

        Most of what we know of Norse mythology, for instance, comes from a
        13th-century Icelandic Christian with the improbable name of Snorri, who
        had a fondness for those old pagan tales and decided to write this stuff
        down. Then a manuscript survived, which is another big if.

        For various reasons this didn't happen in England. The closest thing to an
        Anglo-Saxon epic myth we have is the adventure story of a hero called
        Beowulf. It survives in a single manuscript, which almost got burned up in
        a fire around 1700. If it had, we wouldn't have it now.

        There are a few casual references here and there in old literature to
        English myths, which are probably analogues of German and Norse myths, but
        we don't know for sure, and we don't know what distinctive features they had.

        Tolkien felt this loss keenly, and dropped references to these myths into
        the Book of Lost Tales. That's why he gave it that title: he was trying to
        recover lost myths of the English. (Well, sort of.)

        DB

        At 03:33 PM 4/6/2005 -0400, you wrote:

        >But I don't get it. If the English are Angles (and Saxons) what about all
        >the lovely Northern tales? They stayed on the Continent I suppose? The
        >household gods of the settled raiders rusted in the British climate?
      • jt_heyman
        Message 3 of 22 , Apr 11 12:02 PM
          David Bratman wrote:
          > There are a few casual references here and there
          > in old literature to English myths, which are
          > probably analogues of German and Norse myths,
          > but we don't know for sure, and we don't know
          > what distinctive features they had.
          >
          > Tolkien felt this loss keenly, and dropped
          > references to these myths into the Book of Lost
          > Tales. That's why he gave it that title: he was
          > trying to recover lost myths of the English.
          > (Well, sort of.)

          In a way, that makes me feel sad ... as if an orphan is making up
          stories about what his parents were really like. No imagined tale
          can ever really be as satisfying as discovering the truth, but
          perhaps it gives a small sense of comfort.

          Perhaps it is that aspect of "Lord of the Rings" that touched so many
          people in America in the 60's: they were isolated from their American
          culture and, due to the cultural losses of becoming American, they
          had no pre-American culture to which they could retreat. "Lord of
          the Rings" gave them a replacement myth around which they could
          gather. (Frodo lives, indeed.) Not what Tolkien intended, perhaps,
          but since his own desire for a replacement myth was one of the seeds
          of the trilogy, I can see how it might have happened.

          (Now, my non-scholarly opinion can be constructively criticized by
          those more learned list members ... I'm curious to see if my view has
          any merits.)
          Message 4 of 22 , Apr 11 12:11 PM
            At 07:02 PM 4/11/2005 +0000, jt_heyman wrote:

            >David Bratman wrote:
            >>That's why he gave it that title: he was
            >> trying to recover lost myths of the English.
            >> (Well, sort of.)
            >
            >In a way, that makes me feel sad ... as if an orphan is making up
            >stories about what his parents were really like. No imagined tale
            >can ever really be as satisfying as discovering the truth, but
            >perhaps it gives a small sense of comfort.

            It shouldn't: that's why I wrote "Well, sort of" -- Tolkien wasn't actually
            trying to reconstruct what the lost myths would have been like. He was
            trying to create a new myth that might take its place. By the time he
            wrote LOTR he had long since given up that idea, but he did succeed anyway:
            except that the nation that adopted his myth wasn't the English but the
            worldwide community of Tolkien enthusiasts. As you note.

            What's sad is that the original myths were lost in the first place, either
            because nobody ever wrote them down or the writings were destroyed (in this
            case, probably some of both).

            David Bratman
          • Mike Foster
            Message 5 of 22 , Apr 11 3:34 PM
              Dear Lutwidgians,
              I'm currently teaching the Ransom trilogy by CSL in my non-Tolkien
              course in Fantasy Literature.

              What is the correct pronuciation of "pffifiltriggi" [sp. almost
              certainly], if there is one?

              My guess sounds like Sylvester with a mouthful of Tweety Bird.

              Thanks,
              Mike

              David Bratman wrote:

              >At 07:02 PM 4/11/2005 +0000, jt_heyman wrote:
              >

              >>David Bratman wrote:
              >>

              >>>That's why he gave it that title: he was
              >>>trying to recover lost myths of the English.
              >>>(Well, sort of.)
              >>>

              >>In a way, that makes me feel sad ... as if an orphan is making up
              >>stories about what his parents were really like. No imagined tale
              >>can ever really be as satisfying as discovering the truth, but
              >>perhaps it gives a small sense of comfort.
              >>

              >It shouldn't: that's why I wrote "Well, sort of" -- Tolkien wasn't actually
              >trying to reconstruct what the lost myths would have been like. He was
              >trying to create a new myth that might take its place. By the time he
              >wrote LOTR he had long since given up that idea, but he did succeed anyway:
              >except that the nation that adopted his myth wasn't the English but the
              >worldwide community of Tolkien enthusiasts. As you note.
              >
              >What's sad is that the original myths were lost in the first place, either
              >because nobody ever wrote them down or the writings were destroyed (in this
              >case, probably some of both).
              >
              >David Bratman

              >Yahoo! Groups Links

            • Stolzi
              Message 6 of 22 , Apr 11 6:09 PM
                This is why reading to oneself is so comforting...

                I would guess (p)FIFFLE - TRIGGY. As much of the "p" sound as you can
                manage (think of Nero Wolfe saying "Pfui!") and accent the FIF (primary
                accent) and the TRIG. Hard G's.

                Best: find a pfifltrigg and ask him.

                Looking up that singular form, I found that pfifltriggi had crept in, rather
                oddly, to a big fancy Philosophy course.
                Read syllabus here:

                http://www-phil.tamu.edu/Philosophy/Faculty/Stadelmann/251.old.html

                (Don't understand that bit about the Popcorn.)

                I also found two champion dogs whose breeder was obviously a Lewis fan:

                Ketka Pattertwig, CH
                Ketka Pfifltrigg, CH

                Diamond Proudbrook
              • Bonnie Callahan
                Message 7 of 22 , Apr 11 9:16 PM
                  Hi Mike:

                  We always pronounced it "Fiffle-triggy" (accents on first syllables) in
                  discussion groups.

                  Bonnie