RINGS FANS PETITION FILMMAKERS

  • Joan Marie Verba
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 21, 2000
      RINGS FANS PETITION FILMMAKERS

      More than 11,000 fans of J.R.R. Tolkien's The
      Lord of the Rings trilogy of novels have signed
      an online petition imploring makers of three
      movies based on the books to honor Tolkien's
      vision. The Tolkien Online fan Web site has
      posted the petition and intends to forward it to
      Peter Jackson, director of The Lord of the Rings
      movies, and to executives at New Line Cinema,
      which is producing the epic films.

      The petitioners in particular express concern
      about the depiction of Arwen, daughter of
      Elrond, as a young elf warrior princess, which
      the fans feel varies significantly from Tolkien's
      characterization. "We understand that things of
      this sort are virtually inevitable, to some
      degree, in any adaptation," the petition said.
      "However, we believe wholesale alterations of
      the kind discussed above are completely
      unnecessary, would violate the integrity of
      Tolkien's work and alienate his many fans."

      The petition is addressed to producers Saul
      Zaentz, Harvey and Robert Weinstein; Robert
      Shaye, chairman and chief executive of New
      Line;Michael DeLuca, president and chief
      operating officer of New Line; and Jackson.
      Jackson is about six months into a planned
      18-month filming schedule for the three films,
      which are being made simultaneously in New
      Zealand. The first film is slated for a Christmas
      2001 release.
      --------------------------Forwarded message ends here

      *Joan Marie Verba verba001@...*
      *Mythopoeic Press Secretary, Mythopoeic Society *
      *List Administrator for DocEx, Mythsoc, MNSCBWI *
      * and MNSCREENW lists *
      *http://www.sff.net/people/Joan.Marie.Verba *
    • Paul F. Labaki
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 22, 2000
        I agree with the general sentiment, but can't expect the filmaker's vision
        to correspond with Tolkien's given the limitations of their medium. Of more
        concern to me, and, I think, more important to the story in LOTR,is the
        omission of Bombadil. The fact that the ring has no effect on him within
        his small domain sustains more hope in the possible success of the
        Ringbearer's quest than all the heroic efforts of the leaders of the West.
        This is a terrible flaw and Jackson should know better if he knows LOTR as
        well as he is purported to.

        Peace,
        Paul Labaki

        > Get paid for the stuff you know!
        > Get answers for the stuff you don?t. And get $10 to spend on the site!

      • David S. Bratman
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 22, 2000
          A distinction should be drawn between, on the one hand, omissions due to
          the necessary compression of the story for film-making purposes, and, on
          the other hand, additions to the story that change it.

          I am only moderately concerned about the former, even when they
          significantly change the story. (Sometimes they even improve it: the
          cuts made in John Irving's books when adapted to the screen have always
          improved them, even though the books are good.) I don't draw the same
          overwhelming significance as Paul does to Tom's treatment of the Ring -
          most readers seem to consider it an anomaly, not a sign of hope - but
          even though Tom's omission will affect a lot more than that, I can't be
          too concerned about it.

          Changes that add things - like Arwen, Warrior Princess - are much more
          difficult. Rarely are such additions successful even on their own
          terms. Even when they are successful on their own terms, they're a
          distortion of the author's vision. But mostly they just clash. In
          Tolkien's own words, "If details are to be added to an already crowded
          picture, they should at least fit the world described." (Letter 210)

          In particular, if Warrior Princesses are to depicted as a normal feature
          of Tolkien's world, where does that leave Eowyn's special and unique heroism?

          But I suspect the film-makers already know all this. I don't recall that
          this petition came to my attention, but I would probably not have
          bothered to sign it if it had. If the filmmakers don't already
          understand how to treat Tolkien with respect (and Saul Zantz, for one,
          has proved he doesn't), a petition isn't going to teach them otherwise.

          David Bratman
        • Joan Marie Verba
          Message 4 of 4 , Apr 22, 2000
            Stephen wrote...

            > But do we know that she's going to be a
            >Warrior
            >Princess?

            From the casting call from last fall (see the list archives) which said the
            actress playing Arwen must ride a horse and use a sword (or words to that
            effect).

            Joan