Re: [mythsoc] The people for the myth ?

  • Carl F. Hostetter
    Message 1 of 22 , Apr 5, 2005
      Moreover, Tolkien's point was that the British (i.e., the Celtic
      population of Britain) already HAD their own myths; it was the English
      (proper) that were impoverished in this regard, and it was that lack
      that he hoped (at one time) to fill.

    • aveeris523@aol.com
      Message 2 of 22 , Apr 5, 2005
        In a message dated 4/4/05 10:06:04 PM, dbratman@... writes:

        > >But not all English are descended from the Angles and Saxons.  Some are
        > >Celtic.  Some are Norman.  Did Tolkien write for all of them?
        >
        > That's right, Lizzie: Tolkien only wrote for pure-blood Anglo-Saxons.  All
        > of those Celts and Normans, not to mention new Britons whose ancestors came
        > from places like Africa and India, can get nothing out of Tolkien.  Readers
        > of these non-pure ancestries were seen on the streets holding his books
        > upside-down and scratching their heads, and this was so embarrassing that a
        > law was passed requiring Brits to submit verified genealogical trees
        > showing their pure Anglo-Saxon ancestry back to 400 A.D. before they're
        > allowed to read his books.  Tolkien himself had one ancestor who immigrated
        > from Germany in the 18th century, so he was not permitted to consult his
        > own published work.  That's the reason he had so much trouble completing
        > the Silmarillion.

        Does it still count if you read the Ace bootleg trilogy?

        How about if you have a note from a certified Anglo-Saxon?

        Steve Gaddis

        Message 3 of 22 , Apr 5, 2005
          At 04:52 PM 4/5/2005 -0500, Jack wrote:

          >Elizabeth is right. Tolkien was serious when he said he was a myth for
          >England. Now we know
          >what Britian, but what is England? How is being ENglish different from being
          >British?

          One could attempt a basic explanation of this, but one might doubt if it
          would stick.

          Very well. England, like France, Iceland, Finland, etc., is a country
          based on the idea of being the land inhabited by a particular people: in
          this case, the Anglo-Saxons, or as they later became called, the English,
          who came to that land from the European continent around 500 A.D. They
          mixed to some extent with the Celts who were there before, and the Vikings
          and Normans who invaded later, and those mixtures also contributed to what
          it means to be the English, but the descendants of the Anglo-Saxons
          remained the basis of the people of England.

          Great Britain, a name that in origin predates the arrival of the
          Anglo-Saxons, is the name of the island on which England is located.
          Through a combination of conquests, political treaties, and royal
          inheritances, England became politically unified over the centuries with
          Wales (west of England on Great Britain), Scotland (north of England on
          Great Britain), and Ireland (further west on its own island). Part of
          Ireland later became independent, and the remainder is a political nation
          now called The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland.

          So "British" is a cover-all term to describe all citizens of that political
          nation, whether they be English, Welsh, Scottish, or whatever. Tolkien
          considered them separate ethnic countries, and called himself English, not
          British. England is by far the most populous and politically powerful part
          of the U.K. (it did all the conquering when conquering was being done), so
          it tends to get identified with the whole, to the detriment of its separate
          identity. Tolkien tried to counteract that. His original idea was that
          Iceland has the Eddas, Finland has the Kalevala, and so on, so why
          shouldn't England have its own historically-influenced and intensely ethnic
          myth cycle? And so he wrote "The Book of Lost Tales" which, divested of
          much of its specifically English connection, eventually evolved into The
          Silmarillion.

          David Bratman
        • Elizabeth Apgar Triano
          Message 4 of 22 , Apr 6, 2005
            Thank you, David. Thank you very much. Very nice.

            Sure, one might wonder if it would stick, but without the repetition how
            are we to have the chance? (That's my argument about changing the Book of
            Common Prayer every time we turn around, as well.)

            Lizzie

            Elizabeth Apgar Triano
            lizziewriter@...
            amor vincit omnia
            www.lizziewriter.com
            www.danburymineralogicalsociety.org

            > One could attempt a basic explanation of this, but one might doubt if it
            > would stick.
            >
            > Very well. ...
          • Elizabeth Apgar Triano
            Message 5 of 22 , Apr 6, 2005
              But I don't get it. If the English are Angles (and Saxons) what about all
              the lovely Northern tales? They stayed on the Continent I suppose? The
              household gods of the settled raiders rusted in the British climate?

              Lizzie

              Elizabeth Apgar Triano
              lizziewriter@...
              amor vincit omnia
              www.lizziewriter.com
              www.danburymineralogicalsociety.org

            • Berni Phillips
              Message 6 of 22 , Apr 6, 2005
                From: aveeris523@...

                >How about if you have a note from a certified Anglo-Saxon?

                >Steve Gaddis

                You can get certificates in that sort of thing? How tough is the program? Are there jobs in that field?

                <ducking and running away>
                Berni
                Message 7 of 22 , Apr 7, 2005
                  Lizzie -

                  The English HAD tales and myths. But they got losted.

                  Most of what we know of Norse mythology, for instance, comes from a
                  13th-century Icelandic Christian with the improbable name of Snorri, who
                  had a fondness for those old pagan tales and decided to write this stuff
                  down. Then a manuscript survived, which is another big if.

                  For various reasons this didn't happen in England. The closest thing to an
                  Anglo-Saxon epic myth we have is the adventure story of a hero called
                  Beowulf. It survives in a single manuscript, which almost got burned up in
                  a fire around 1700. If it had, we wouldn't have it now.

                  There are a few casual references here and there in old literature to
                  English myths, which are probably analogues of German and Norse myths, but
                  we don't know for sure, and we don't know what distinctive features they had.

                  Tolkien felt this loss keenly, and dropped references to these myths into
                  the Book of Lost Tales. That's why he gave it that title: he was trying to
                  recover lost myths of the English. (Well, sort of.)

                  DB

                  At 03:33 PM 4/6/2005 -0400, you wrote:

                  >But I don't get it. If the English are Angles (and Saxons) what about all
                  >the lovely Northern tales? They stayed on the Continent I suppose? The
                  >household gods of the settled raiders rusted in the British climate?
                • jt_heyman
                  Message 8 of 22 , Apr 11, 2005
                    David Bratman wrote:
                    > There are a few casual references here and there
                    > in old literature to English myths, which are
                    > probably analogues of German and Norse myths,
                    > but we don't know for sure, and we don't know
                    > what distinctive features they had.
                    >
                    > Tolkien felt this loss keenly, and dropped
                    > references to these myths into the Book of Lost
                    > Tales. That's why he gave it that title: he was
                    > trying to recover lost myths of the English.
                    > (Well, sort of.)

                    In a way, that makes me feel sad ... as if an orphan is making up
                    stories about what his parents were really like. No imagined tale
                    can ever really be as satisfying as discovering the truth, but
                    perhaps it gives a small sense of comfort.

                    Perhaps it is that aspect of "Lord of the Rings" that touched so many
                    people in America in the 60's: they were isolated from their American
                    culture and, due to the cultural losses of becoming American, they
                    had no pre-American culture to which they could retreat. "Lord of
                    the Rings" gave them a replacement myth around which they could
                    gather. (Frodo lives, indeed.) Not what Tolkien intended, perhaps,
                    but since his own desire for a replacement myth was one of the seeds
                    of the trilogy, I can see how it might have happened.

                    (Now, my non-scholarly opinion can be constructively criticized by
                    those more learned list members ... I'm curious to see if my view has
                    any merits.)
                    Message 9 of 22 , Apr 11, 2005
                      At 07:02 PM 4/11/2005 +0000, jt_heyman wrote:

                      >David Bratman wrote:
                      >>That's why he gave it that title: he was
                      >> trying to recover lost myths of the English.
                      >> (Well, sort of.)
                      >
                      >In a way, that makes me feel sad ... as if an orphan is making up
                      >stories about what his parents were really like. No imagined tale
                      >can ever really be as satisfying as discovering the truth, but
                      >perhaps it gives a small sense of comfort.

                      It shouldn't: that's why I wrote "Well, sort of" -- Tolkien wasn't actually
                      trying to reconstruct what the lost myths would have been like. He was
                      trying to create a new myth that might take its place. By the time he
                      wrote LOTR he had long since given up that idea, but he did succeed anyway:
                      except that the nation that adopted his myth wasn't the English but the
                      worldwide community of Tolkien enthusiasts. As you note.

                      What's sad is that the original myths were lost in the first place, either
                      because nobody ever wrote them down or the writings were destroyed (in this
                      case, probably some of both).

                      David Bratman
                    • Mike Foster
                      Message 10 of 22 , Apr 11, 2005
                        Dear Lutwidgians,
                        I'm currently teaching the Ransom trilogy by CSL in my non-Tolkien
                        course in Fantasy Literature.

                        What is the correct pronuciation of "pffifiltriggi" [sp. almost
                        certainly], if there is one?

                        My guess sounds like Sylvester with a mouthful of Tweety Bird.

                        Thanks,
                        Mike

                        David Bratman wrote:

                        >At 07:02 PM 4/11/2005 +0000, jt_heyman wrote:
                        >

                        >>David Bratman wrote:
                        >>

                        >>>That's why he gave it that title: he was
                        >>>trying to recover lost myths of the English.
                        >>>(Well, sort of.)
                        >>>

                        >>In a way, that makes me feel sad ... as if an orphan is making up
                        >>stories about what his parents were really like. No imagined tale
                        >>can ever really be as satisfying as discovering the truth, but
                        >>perhaps it gives a small sense of comfort.
                        >>

                        >It shouldn't: that's why I wrote "Well, sort of" -- Tolkien wasn't actually
                        >trying to reconstruct what the lost myths would have been like. He was
                        >trying to create a new myth that might take its place. By the time he
                        >wrote LOTR he had long since given up that idea, but he did succeed anyway:
                        >except that the nation that adopted his myth wasn't the English but the
                        >worldwide community of Tolkien enthusiasts. As you note.
                        >
                        >What's sad is that the original myths were lost in the first place, either
                        >because nobody ever wrote them down or the writings were destroyed (in this
                        >case, probably some of both).
                        >
                        >David Bratman

                        >Yahoo! Groups Links

                      • Stolzi
                        Message 11 of 22 , Apr 11, 2005
                          This is why reading to oneself is so comforting...

                          I would guess (p)FIFFLE - TRIGGY. As much of the "p" sound as you can
                          manage (think of Nero Wolfe saying "Pfui!") and accent the FIF (primary
                          accent) and the TRIG. Hard G's.

                          Best: find a pfifltrigg and ask him.

                          Looking up that singular form, I found that pfifltriggi had crept in, rather
                          oddly, to a big fancy Philosophy course.
                          Read syllabus here:

                          http://www-phil.tamu.edu/Philosophy/Faculty/Stadelmann/251.old.html

                          (Don't understand that bit about the Popcorn.)

                          I also found two champion dogs whose breeder was obviously a Lewis fan:

                          Ketka Pattertwig, CH
                          Ketka Pfifltrigg, CH

                          Diamond Proudbrook
                        • Bonnie Callahan
                          Message 12 of 22 , Apr 11, 2005
                            Hi Mike:

                            We always pronounced it "Fiffle-triggy" (accents on first syllables) in
                            discussion groups.

                            Bonnie