Re: [mythsoc] John Paul II

  • AMV Howard
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 4, 2005
      The plays of Karol Wojtyla have been collected (as Amazon.com so
      helpfully informed me on Saturday); however, they appear to be out of
      print and the price has suddenly spiked (Oh, if only I had bought a
      volume when it was on sale for a mere $50...)

      Remember (as I told my class today) that the election of a pope is not
      the sort of election we're used to in America. The ballot isn't
      limited to just the people on the lists that keep getting tossed
      around; those are just the men who are percieved to be the most likely
      choices. Historically, though, such lists have been poor predictors;
      once the Cardinals go into seclusion, all bets are off.

      I still haven't found one website that gives satisfactory details on
      the process of election and the profiles of the papibili, but I'm
      about to settle in for a nice concentrated search, and I'll be sure to
      share if I come up with a good one.

      /A

      On Apr 4, 2005 12:42 PM, Elizabeth Apgar Triano
      <lizziewriter@...> wrote:

      > I would be interested to keep track of the candidates as they select a new
      > pope. I'm not RC either, but I read a little on the BBC site (I think) the
      > other day and I would like to read more. I especially was interested to
      > read how so many Catholics today live in South America, and one of the men
      > that seems a possible choice is Brazilian. Should I just keep checking the
      > BBC or does anyone have advice?
      >
      > I'll bet that if his work isn't already out, it will be soon! And in nice
      > collectible volumes, too.
      >
      > I still have to read up on Rowan Williams. He's my guy. ;-)
      >
      > Lizzie
      >
      > Elizabeth Apgar Triano
      > lizziewriter@...
      > amor vincit omnia
      > www.lizziewriter.com
      > www.danburymineralogicalsociety.org

    • Debra Murphy
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 4, 2005
        They made a movie of one of the plays, _The Jeweller's Shop_. It
        starred Burt Lancaster and Olivia Hussey. Not a brilliant film, as I
        recall, but quite nice.

        Debra Murphy
        www.debramurphy.com

        Signup at www.doteasy.com
      • Stolzi
        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 5, 2005
          I love it that this group's first (or, at least, second) reaction to the
          Pope's death should be: Buy Books!

          It's so like us :)

          It has been speculated that the Pope who succeeds John Paul will be named
          George Ringo.

          Diamond Proudbrook