Re: [mythsoc] John Paul II

  • Elizabeth Apgar Triano
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 4, 2005
      I would be interested to keep track of the candidates as they select a new
      pope. I'm not RC either, but I read a little on the BBC site (I think) the
      other day and I would like to read more. I especially was interested to
      read how so many Catholics today live in South America, and one of the men
      that seems a possible choice is Brazilian. Should I just keep checking the
      BBC or does anyone have advice?

      I'll bet that if his work isn't already out, it will be soon! And in nice
      collectible volumes, too.

      I still have to read up on Rowan Williams. He's my guy. ;-)

      Lizzie

      Elizabeth Apgar Triano
      lizziewriter@...
      amor vincit omnia
      www.lizziewriter.com
      www.danburymineralogicalsociety.org

    • AMV Howard
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 4, 2005
        The plays of Karol Wojtyla have been collected (as Amazon.com so
        helpfully informed me on Saturday); however, they appear to be out of
        print and the price has suddenly spiked (Oh, if only I had bought a
        volume when it was on sale for a mere $50...)

        Remember (as I told my class today) that the election of a pope is not
        the sort of election we're used to in America. The ballot isn't
        limited to just the people on the lists that keep getting tossed
        around; those are just the men who are percieved to be the most likely
        choices. Historically, though, such lists have been poor predictors;
        once the Cardinals go into seclusion, all bets are off.

        I still haven't found one website that gives satisfactory details on
        the process of election and the profiles of the papibili, but I'm
        about to settle in for a nice concentrated search, and I'll be sure to
        share if I come up with a good one.

        /A

        On Apr 4, 2005 12:42 PM, Elizabeth Apgar Triano
        <lizziewriter@...> wrote:

        > I would be interested to keep track of the candidates as they select a new
        > pope. I'm not RC either, but I read a little on the BBC site (I think) the
        > other day and I would like to read more. I especially was interested to
        > read how so many Catholics today live in South America, and one of the men
        > that seems a possible choice is Brazilian. Should I just keep checking the
        > BBC or does anyone have advice?
        >
        > I'll bet that if his work isn't already out, it will be soon! And in nice
        > collectible volumes, too.
        >
        > I still have to read up on Rowan Williams. He's my guy. ;-)
        >
        > Lizzie
        >
        > Elizabeth Apgar Triano
        > lizziewriter@...
        > amor vincit omnia
        > www.lizziewriter.com
        > www.danburymineralogicalsociety.org

      • Debra Murphy
        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 4, 2005
          They made a movie of one of the plays, _The Jeweller's Shop_. It
          starred Burt Lancaster and Olivia Hussey. Not a brilliant film, as I
          recall, but quite nice.

          Debra Murphy
          www.debramurphy.com

          Signup at www.doteasy.com
        • Stolzi
          Message 4 of 7 , Apr 5, 2005
            I love it that this group's first (or, at least, second) reaction to the
            Pope's death should be: Buy Books!

            It's so like us :)

            It has been speculated that the Pope who succeeds John Paul will be named
            George Ringo.

            Diamond Proudbrook