Re: [mythsoc] John Paul II

  • dianejoy@earthlink.net
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 4 9:22 AM
      John Paul II was my favorite Pope. I'm not Catholic, but I truly
      appreciated this man, and what he's done for the Church and the world, esp.
      WRT communism. I'm learning much about him, and what I've heard so far has
      been stellar. He's gone from lesser light into greater light, from glory
      to glory. I pray that we'll keep his legacy in mind as a new Pope follows;
      he's got big shoes to fill. I'd like to read some of his plays; have they
      been collected? ---djb

      From: Bonnie Callahan <bonolatm@...>

      Signup at www.doteasy.com

      Yahoo! Groups Links

      http://mail2web.com/ .
    • Elizabeth Apgar Triano
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 4 9:42 AM
        I would be interested to keep track of the candidates as they select a new
        pope. I'm not RC either, but I read a little on the BBC site (I think) the
        other day and I would like to read more. I especially was interested to
        read how so many Catholics today live in South America, and one of the men
        that seems a possible choice is Brazilian. Should I just keep checking the
        BBC or does anyone have advice?

        I'll bet that if his work isn't already out, it will be soon! And in nice
        collectible volumes, too.

        I still have to read up on Rowan Williams. He's my guy. ;-)

        Lizzie

        Elizabeth Apgar Triano
        lizziewriter@...
        amor vincit omnia
        www.lizziewriter.com
        www.danburymineralogicalsociety.org

      • AMV Howard
        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 4 3:03 PM
          The plays of Karol Wojtyla have been collected (as Amazon.com so
          helpfully informed me on Saturday); however, they appear to be out of
          print and the price has suddenly spiked (Oh, if only I had bought a
          volume when it was on sale for a mere $50...)

          Remember (as I told my class today) that the election of a pope is not
          the sort of election we're used to in America. The ballot isn't
          limited to just the people on the lists that keep getting tossed
          around; those are just the men who are percieved to be the most likely
          choices. Historically, though, such lists have been poor predictors;
          once the Cardinals go into seclusion, all bets are off.

          I still haven't found one website that gives satisfactory details on
          the process of election and the profiles of the papibili, but I'm
          about to settle in for a nice concentrated search, and I'll be sure to
          share if I come up with a good one.

          /A

          On Apr 4, 2005 12:42 PM, Elizabeth Apgar Triano
          <lizziewriter@...> wrote:

          > I would be interested to keep track of the candidates as they select a new
          > pope. I'm not RC either, but I read a little on the BBC site (I think) the
          > other day and I would like to read more. I especially was interested to
          > read how so many Catholics today live in South America, and one of the men
          > that seems a possible choice is Brazilian. Should I just keep checking the
          > BBC or does anyone have advice?
          >
          > I'll bet that if his work isn't already out, it will be soon! And in nice
          > collectible volumes, too.
          >
          > I still have to read up on Rowan Williams. He's my guy. ;-)
          >
          > Lizzie
          >
          > Elizabeth Apgar Triano
          > lizziewriter@...
          > amor vincit omnia
          > www.lizziewriter.com
          > www.danburymineralogicalsociety.org

        • Debra Murphy
          Message 4 of 7 , Apr 4 10:12 PM
            They made a movie of one of the plays, _The Jeweller's Shop_. It
            starred Burt Lancaster and Olivia Hussey. Not a brilliant film, as I
            recall, but quite nice.

            Debra Murphy
            www.debramurphy.com

            Signup at www.doteasy.com
          • Stolzi
            Message 5 of 7 , Apr 5 8:36 AM
              I love it that this group's first (or, at least, second) reaction to the
              Pope's death should be: Buy Books!

              It's so like us :)

              It has been speculated that the Pope who succeeds John Paul will be named
              George Ringo.

              Diamond Proudbrook