Re: Learning Anglo Saxon

  • Pauline J. Alama
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 3, 2005
      --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, Elizabeth Katz <lizkz@m...> wrote:
      Bright's Old English Grammar & Reader probably costs a bundle, but
      it's a nice, clear primer if you REALLY want to take on this task in
      your spare time. You might try posting on ANSAX-L (a list for Anglo-
      Saxon scholars, listserv@...) or ENGLISC-L (the list for
      conversation in Anglo-Saxon, listserv@...) to ask if
      anyone has a used copy they'd like to sell you.

      Be prepared for a lot of work. There is no getting around the dull,
      rote task of memorizing the declensions. This isn't like Shakespearean
      English or even Middle English, which you can hack your way through
      until habit makes it familiar. Anglo-Saxon is a lot more like Frisian
      than like Modern English.

      But the work has certain rewards, especially if you like the
      alliterative poetry Tolkien wrote in imitation of OE. And to misquote
      Star Trek, you haven't experienced BEowulf till you've read it in the
      original Klingon! ;-)

      Pauline J. Alama
      THE EYE OF NIGHT (Bantam Spectra 2002)
      www.geocities.com/paulinejalama.PaulineAlama.html