Re: [mythsoc] Lovecraft volume now in "Library of America"

    Message 1 of 12 , Apr 3, 2005
      In a message dated 4/3/2005 2:25:23 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
      lizziewriter@... writes:

      I like pretty books, and more than that I like sturdy books, but I get
      nervous of really nice volumes because then I am afraid of them getting
      beat-up when we read them. It would be nice if someone eventually weighs
      in on other volumes, in terms of collections and also commentary, although
      if you ask me, Lovecraft stands pretty well on his own. My introduction
      was many years ago, in the form of a paperback volume with the delightful
      (she says sarcastically) cover showing a flower growing out of a dead man's
      mouth. Anyone have that one?

      Does acid-free paper mean that after a dozen-odd years you can still fold
      the pages? Although I guess the ribbon is supposed to preclude that habit.

      There are a number of collections of Lovecraft already published, and there
      are undoubtedly going to be many more coming out eventually, each with
      different selections of what the editor thinks is the best of Lovecraft. Nobody has
      published a definitive edition of Lovecraft, I believe. I think the
      closest you can get to owning a complete set of his fiction is to buy a bunch of
      the older paperback editions of his works. Maybe someday we can hope for a
      complete annotated edition of his works.

      Acid-free paper means that the paper won't get yellow and hence won't break
      easily. It's not a good idea to fold a page for any kind of paper though.
      Anyway, acid-free editions will last much longer.

    • Christine Howlett
      Message 2 of 12 , Apr 4, 2005
        Dog-earing good books probably earns you more time in purgatory - at least
        that was my Mom's religion! I tear off scraps of newspaper or pieces of
        cloth if I can't find a 'real' bookmark....
        Christine
        > Does acid-free paper mean that after a dozen-odd years you can still fold
        > the pages? Although I guess the ribbon is supposed to preclude that
        habit.

        > There are a number of collections of Lovecraft already published, and
        there
        > are undoubtedly going to be many more coming out eventually, each with
        > different selections of what the editor thinks is the best of Lovecraft.
        Nobody has
        > published a definitive edition of Lovecraft, I believe. I think the
        > closest you can get to owning a complete set of his fiction is to buy a
        bunch of
        > the older paperback editions of his works. Maybe someday we can hope for
        > complete annotated edition of his works.
        >
        > Acid-free paper means that the paper won't get yellow and hence won't
        break
        > easily. It's not a good idea to fold a page for any kind of paper
        though.
        > Anyway, acid-free editions will last much longer.
        >
        > Wendell Wagner

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Elizabeth Apgar Triano
        Message 3 of 12 , Apr 4, 2005
          Well, most of my books are used, and while I do use all kinds of eclectic
          things for bookmarks, I've always dog-eared them. Blame my dad. And I'm
          passing on the trait, although I suppose I should teach the kids not to do
          it to borrowed books.

          It's better than not reading. And I thought this WAS purgatory.

          Lizzie, not terribly repentant

          Elizabeth Apgar Triano
          lizziewriter@...
          amor vincit omnia
          www.lizziewriter.com
          www.danburymineralogicalsociety.org

        • juliet@firinn.org
          Message 4 of 12 , Apr 4, 2005
            On Mon, Apr 04, 2005 at 03:13:01PM -0400, Christine Howlett wrote:

            > Dog-earing good books probably earns you more time in purgatory - at least
            > that was my Mom's religion! I tear off scraps of newspaper or pieces of
            > cloth if I can't find a 'real' bookmark....

            Am I the only one who just memorizes page numbers? With cheap and non-fragile
            books I am also known to leave the book open face down, which I'm sure is as
            bad as dog-earing.

            Julie
          • Bonnie Callahan
            Message 5 of 12 , Apr 4, 2005
              I use rubber bands as bookmarks, myself--if a cheapie. If not, a large hair
              elastic that isn't too tight!

              Bonnie