The people for the myth ?

  • Elizabeth Apgar Triano
    Message 1 of 22 , Apr 3, 2005
      Please could someone explain in simple or even redundant terms exactly who
      is meant by the English that Tolkien wrote his myth for. It was not the
      Celts. It was some amalgamation of one wave of the Vikings and some of the
      British who were or were not also of Celtic descent? It was for the people
      of the post-Pax Romano time period?

      I think this is a multi-level map site, if there are pages that would help
      the explanation I'd love to hear about it. I have saved this site but
      since I don't have the various contexts I haven't looked at it much.

      http://www.euratlas.com/time1.htm#1

      thanks,
      Lizzie the historically challenged

      Elizabeth Apgar Triano
      lizziewriter@...
      amor vincit omnia
      www.lizziewriter.com
      www.danburymineralogicalsociety.org
    • alexeik@aol.com
      Message 2 of 22 , Apr 4, 2005
        In a message dated 4/3/5 6:27:26 PM, Lizzie triano wrote:

        <<Please could someone explain in simple or even redundant terms exactly who
        is meant by the English that Tolkien wrote his myth for. >>

        It was the people who speak English and live in England and think of
        themselves as English.
        Alexei
      • Elizabeth Apgar Triano
        Message 3 of 22 , Apr 4, 2005
          *aww* That's it? That's all? Just the modern WWI-WWII English Bill &
          Jane kinda folk?

          Of course, England is so thick with history, not like here, so perhaps that
          is enough of a definition of English??

          thanks,

          Lizzie

          Message 4 of 22 , Apr 4, 2005
            Lizzie -

            The English are ethnically the descendants of the Anglo-Saxons who came to
            the country in the 5th and 6th centuries. The name "England" is derived
            from "Angle-Land," the land of the Angles (and Saxons). The Celts were
            already there; the Vikings and Normans came later.

            Celts = Welsh, Scots, Irish, etc.
            Anglo-Saxons = Germanic peoples (related to the Germans & Dutch; that's why
            the languages have so much in common with English)
            Vikings = Scandinavian marauders
            Normans = from France, originally descended from Viking settlers

            You might want to print this out on a card and keep it in your pocket.

            DB
          • Elizabeth Apgar Triano
            Message 5 of 22 , Apr 4, 2005
              Hmm, not in my pocket, it would end up in the wash. Maybe taped to the
              printer.

              But not all English are descended from the Angles and Saxons. Some are
              Celtic. Some are Norman. Did Tolkien write for all of them?

              Message 6 of 22 , Apr 4, 2005
                At 02:28 PM 4/4/2005 -0400, Lizzie wrote:

                >But not all English are descended from the Angles and Saxons. Some are
                >Celtic. Some are Norman. Did Tolkien write for all of them?

                That's right, Lizzie: Tolkien only wrote for pure-blood Anglo-Saxons. All
                of those Celts and Normans, not to mention new Britons whose ancestors came
                from places like Africa and India, can get nothing out of Tolkien. Readers
                of these non-pure ancestries were seen on the streets holding his books
                upside-down and scratching their heads, and this was so embarrassing that a
                law was passed requiring Brits to submit verified genealogical trees
                showing their pure Anglo-Saxon ancestry back to 400 A.D. before they're
                allowed to read his books. Tolkien himself had one ancestor who immigrated
                from Germany in the 18th century, so he was not permitted to consult his
                own published work. That's the reason he had so much trouble completing
                the Silmarillion.

                (sigh)
              • Elizabeth Apgar Triano
                Message 7 of 22 , Apr 5, 2005
                  That's quite amusing, but it doesn't help. So I guess I can take that as a
                  "Yeah, he wrote for the basic 20th Century mix," the same way that someone
                  today, here in the States, could attempt, with probably less success, to
                  create an epic for the various waves of wilfully or accidentally murderous
                  ethnic groups that have emigrated (and mixed) over the years.

                  Oh, wait a sec: that would be Johnny Cash.

                  You know, not everyone is as thick-skinned as I am. Someone else might
                  have been hurt by that bit of entertaining prose.

                • jack@greenmanreview.com
                  Message 8 of 22 , Apr 5, 2005
                    > That's quite amusing, but it doesn't help. So I guess I can take that as a
                    > "Yeah, he wrote for the basic 20th Century mix," the same way that someone
                    > today, here in the States, could attempt, with probably less success, to
                    > create an epic for the various waves of wilfully or accidentally murderous
                    > ethnic groups that have emigrated (and mixed) over the years.
                    >

                    > Oh, wait a sec: that would be Johnny Cash.
                    >

                    > You know, not everyone is as thick-skinned as I am. Someone else might
                    > have been hurt by that bit of entertaining prose.

                    Elizabeth is right. Tolkien was serious when he said he was a myth for England. Now we know
                    what Britian, but what is England? How is being ENglish different from being British?
                  • Berni Phillips
                    Message 9 of 22 , Apr 5, 2005
                      From: <jack@...>

                      > Elizabeth is right. Tolkien was serious when he said he was a myth for
                      England. Now we know
                      > what Britian, but what is England? How is being ENglish different from
                      being British?

                      Isn't England a subset of Britain? So by writing for the English means
                      you're not writing for the Celtic-origined Brits such as the Welsh and the
                      Scots. They have a different flavor, as it were.

                      Berni
                    • Carl F. Hostetter
                      Message 10 of 22 , Apr 5, 2005
                        Moreover, Tolkien's point was that the British (i.e., the Celtic
                        population of Britain) already HAD their own myths; it was the English
                        (proper) that were impoverished in this regard, and it was that lack
                        that he hoped (at one time) to fill.

                        On Apr 5, 2005, at 8:47 PM, Berni Phillips wrote:

                        > From: <jack@...>
                        >>
                        >> Elizabeth is right. Tolkien was serious when he said he was a myth for
                        > England. Now we know
                        >> what Britian, but what is England? How is being ENglish different from
                        > being British?
                        >
                        > Isn't England a subset of Britain? So by writing for the English means
                        > you're not writing for the Celtic-origined Brits such as the Welsh and
                        > the
                        > Scots. They have a different flavor, as it were.
                        >
                        > Berni
                      • Mike Foster
                        Message 11 of 22 , Apr 5, 2005
                          Tom Shippey emphasized Tolkien's English-ness during the panel with
                          Douglas A. Anderson and me 29 March here.

                        • aveeris523@aol.com
                          Message 12 of 22 , Apr 5, 2005
                            In a message dated 4/4/05 10:06:04 PM, dbratman@... writes:

                            > >But not all English are descended from the Angles and Saxons.  Some are
                            > >Celtic.  Some are Norman.  Did Tolkien write for all of them?
                            >
                            > That's right, Lizzie: Tolkien only wrote for pure-blood Anglo-Saxons.  All
                            > of those Celts and Normans, not to mention new Britons whose ancestors came
                            > from places like Africa and India, can get nothing out of Tolkien.  Readers
                            > of these non-pure ancestries were seen on the streets holding his books
                            > upside-down and scratching their heads, and this was so embarrassing that a
                            > law was passed requiring Brits to submit verified genealogical trees
                            > showing their pure Anglo-Saxon ancestry back to 400 A.D. before they're
                            > allowed to read his books.  Tolkien himself had one ancestor who immigrated
                            > from Germany in the 18th century, so he was not permitted to consult his
                            > own published work.  That's the reason he had so much trouble completing
                            > the Silmarillion.

                            Does it still count if you read the Ace bootleg trilogy?

                            How about if you have a note from a certified Anglo-Saxon?

                            Steve Gaddis

                            Message 13 of 22 , Apr 5, 2005
                              At 04:52 PM 4/5/2005 -0500, Jack wrote:

                              >Elizabeth is right. Tolkien was serious when he said he was a myth for
                              >England. Now we know
                              >what Britian, but what is England? How is being ENglish different from being
                              >British?

                              One could attempt a basic explanation of this, but one might doubt if it
                              would stick.

                              Very well. England, like France, Iceland, Finland, etc., is a country
                              based on the idea of being the land inhabited by a particular people: in
                              this case, the Anglo-Saxons, or as they later became called, the English,
                              who came to that land from the European continent around 500 A.D. They
                              mixed to some extent with the Celts who were there before, and the Vikings
                              and Normans who invaded later, and those mixtures also contributed to what
                              it means to be the English, but the descendants of the Anglo-Saxons
                              remained the basis of the people of England.

                              Great Britain, a name that in origin predates the arrival of the
                              Anglo-Saxons, is the name of the island on which England is located.
                              Through a combination of conquests, political treaties, and royal
                              inheritances, England became politically unified over the centuries with
                              Wales (west of England on Great Britain), Scotland (north of England on
                              Great Britain), and Ireland (further west on its own island). Part of
                              Ireland later became independent, and the remainder is a political nation
                              now called The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland.

                              So "British" is a cover-all term to describe all citizens of that political
                              nation, whether they be English, Welsh, Scottish, or whatever. Tolkien
                              considered them separate ethnic countries, and called himself English, not
                              British. England is by far the most populous and politically powerful part
                              of the U.K. (it did all the conquering when conquering was being done), so
                              it tends to get identified with the whole, to the detriment of its separate
                              identity. Tolkien tried to counteract that. His original idea was that
                              Iceland has the Eddas, Finland has the Kalevala, and so on, so why
                              shouldn't England have its own historically-influenced and intensely ethnic
                              myth cycle? And so he wrote "The Book of Lost Tales" which, divested of
                              much of its specifically English connection, eventually evolved into The
                              Silmarillion.

                              David Bratman
                            • Elizabeth Apgar Triano
                              Message 14 of 22 , Apr 6, 2005
                                Thank you, David. Thank you very much. Very nice.

                                Sure, one might wonder if it would stick, but without the repetition how
                                are we to have the chance? (That's my argument about changing the Book of
                                Common Prayer every time we turn around, as well.)

                                Lizzie

                                Elizabeth Apgar Triano
                                lizziewriter@...
                                amor vincit omnia
                                www.lizziewriter.com
                                www.danburymineralogicalsociety.org

                                > One could attempt a basic explanation of this, but one might doubt if it
                                > would stick.
                                >
                                > Very well. ...
                              • Elizabeth Apgar Triano
                                Message 15 of 22 , Apr 6, 2005
                                  But I don't get it. If the English are Angles (and Saxons) what about all
                                  the lovely Northern tales? They stayed on the Continent I suppose? The
                                  household gods of the settled raiders rusted in the British climate?

                                  Message 16 of 22 , Apr 6, 2005
                                    From: aveeris523@...

                                    >How about if you have a note from a certified Anglo-Saxon?

                                    >Steve Gaddis

                                    You can get certificates in that sort of thing? How tough is the program? Are there jobs in that field?

                                    <ducking and running away>
                                    Berni
                                    Message 17 of 22 , Apr 7, 2005
                                      Lizzie -

                                      The English HAD tales and myths. But they got losted.

                                      Most of what we know of Norse mythology, for instance, comes from a
                                      13th-century Icelandic Christian with the improbable name of Snorri, who
                                      had a fondness for those old pagan tales and decided to write this stuff
                                      down. Then a manuscript survived, which is another big if.

                                      For various reasons this didn't happen in England. The closest thing to an
                                      Anglo-Saxon epic myth we have is the adventure story of a hero called
                                      Beowulf. It survives in a single manuscript, which almost got burned up in
                                      a fire around 1700. If it had, we wouldn't have it now.

                                      There are a few casual references here and there in old literature to
                                      English myths, which are probably analogues of German and Norse myths, but
                                      we don't know for sure, and we don't know what distinctive features they had.

                                      Tolkien felt this loss keenly, and dropped references to these myths into
                                      the Book of Lost Tales. That's why he gave it that title: he was trying to
                                      recover lost myths of the English. (Well, sort of.)

                                      DB

                                      At 03:33 PM 4/6/2005 -0400, you wrote:

                                      >But I don't get it. If the English are Angles (and Saxons) what about all
                                      >the lovely Northern tales? They stayed on the Continent I suppose? The
                                      >household gods of the settled raiders rusted in the British climate?
                                    • jt_heyman
                                      Message 18 of 22 , Apr 11, 2005
                                        David Bratman wrote:
                                        > There are a few casual references here and there
                                        > in old literature to English myths, which are
                                        > probably analogues of German and Norse myths,
                                        > but we don't know for sure, and we don't know
                                        > what distinctive features they had.
                                        >
                                        > Tolkien felt this loss keenly, and dropped
                                        > references to these myths into the Book of Lost
                                        > Tales. That's why he gave it that title: he was
                                        > trying to recover lost myths of the English.
                                        > (Well, sort of.)

                                        In a way, that makes me feel sad ... as if an orphan is making up
                                        stories about what his parents were really like. No imagined tale
                                        can ever really be as satisfying as discovering the truth, but
                                        perhaps it gives a small sense of comfort.

                                        Perhaps it is that aspect of "Lord of the Rings" that touched so many
                                        people in America in the 60's: they were isolated from their American
                                        culture and, due to the cultural losses of becoming American, they
                                        had no pre-American culture to which they could retreat. "Lord of
                                        the Rings" gave them a replacement myth around which they could
                                        gather. (Frodo lives, indeed.) Not what Tolkien intended, perhaps,
                                        but since his own desire for a replacement myth was one of the seeds
                                        of the trilogy, I can see how it might have happened.

                                        (Now, my non-scholarly opinion can be constructively criticized by
                                        those more learned list members ... I'm curious to see if my view has
                                        any merits.)
                                        Message 19 of 22 , Apr 11, 2005
                                          At 07:02 PM 4/11/2005 +0000, jt_heyman wrote:

                                          >David Bratman wrote:
                                          >>That's why he gave it that title: he was
                                          >> trying to recover lost myths of the English.
                                          >> (Well, sort of.)
                                          >
                                          >In a way, that makes me feel sad ... as if an orphan is making up
                                          >stories about what his parents were really like. No imagined tale
                                          >can ever really be as satisfying as discovering the truth, but
                                          >perhaps it gives a small sense of comfort.

                                          It shouldn't: that's why I wrote "Well, sort of" -- Tolkien wasn't actually
                                          trying to reconstruct what the lost myths would have been like. He was
                                          trying to create a new myth that might take its place. By the time he
                                          wrote LOTR he had long since given up that idea, but he did succeed anyway:
                                          except that the nation that adopted his myth wasn't the English but the
                                          worldwide community of Tolkien enthusiasts. As you note.

                                          What's sad is that the original myths were lost in the first place, either
                                          because nobody ever wrote them down or the writings were destroyed (in this
                                          case, probably some of both).

                                          David Bratman
                                        • Mike Foster
                                          Message 20 of 22 , Apr 11, 2005
                                            Dear Lutwidgians,
                                            I'm currently teaching the Ransom trilogy by CSL in my non-Tolkien
                                            course in Fantasy Literature.

                                            What is the correct pronuciation of "pffifiltriggi" [sp. almost
                                            certainly], if there is one?

                                            My guess sounds like Sylvester with a mouthful of Tweety Bird.

                                            Thanks,
                                            Mike

                                            David Bratman wrote:

                                            >At 07:02 PM 4/11/2005 +0000, jt_heyman wrote:
                                            >

                                            >>David Bratman wrote:
                                            >>

                                            >>>That's why he gave it that title: he was
                                            >>>trying to recover lost myths of the English.
                                            >>>(Well, sort of.)
                                            >>>

                                            >>In a way, that makes me feel sad ... as if an orphan is making up
                                            >>stories about what his parents were really like. No imagined tale
                                            >>can ever really be as satisfying as discovering the truth, but
                                            >>perhaps it gives a small sense of comfort.
                                            >>

                                            >It shouldn't: that's why I wrote "Well, sort of" -- Tolkien wasn't actually
                                            >trying to reconstruct what the lost myths would have been like. He was
                                            >trying to create a new myth that might take its place. By the time he
                                            >wrote LOTR he had long since given up that idea, but he did succeed anyway:
                                            >except that the nation that adopted his myth wasn't the English but the
                                            >worldwide community of Tolkien enthusiasts. As you note.
                                            >
                                            >What's sad is that the original myths were lost in the first place, either
                                            >because nobody ever wrote them down or the writings were destroyed (in this
                                            >case, probably some of both).
                                            >
                                            >David Bratman

                                            >Yahoo! Groups Links

                                          • Stolzi
                                            Message 21 of 22 , Apr 11, 2005
                                              This is why reading to oneself is so comforting...

                                              I would guess (p)FIFFLE - TRIGGY. As much of the "p" sound as you can
                                              manage (think of Nero Wolfe saying "Pfui!") and accent the FIF (primary
                                              accent) and the TRIG. Hard G's.

                                              Best: find a pfifltrigg and ask him.

                                              Looking up that singular form, I found that pfifltriggi had crept in, rather
                                              oddly, to a big fancy Philosophy course.
                                              Read syllabus here:

                                              http://www-phil.tamu.edu/Philosophy/Faculty/Stadelmann/251.old.html

                                              (Don't understand that bit about the Popcorn.)

                                              I also found two champion dogs whose breeder was obviously a Lewis fan:

                                              Ketka Pattertwig, CH
                                              Ketka Pfifltrigg, CH

                                              Diamond Proudbrook
                                            • Bonnie Callahan
                                              Message 22 of 22 , Apr 11, 2005
                                                Hi Mike:

                                                We always pronounced it "Fiffle-triggy" (accents on first syllables) in
                                                discussion groups.

                                                Bonnie