Re: [mythsoc] Lovecraft volume now in "Library of America"

  • Carl F. Hostetter
    Message 1 of 12 , Apr 1 11:11 AM
      Ah, yes. (I'd heard of the first of those, but not the latter two.)
      Hopefully "LoA" will have a follow-up volume with the remaining
      writings (as is their standard practice). Or perhaps these are later
      stories that are still under copyright, and the "LoA" can't secure
      rights to them?
      Message 2 of 12 , Apr 3 11:37 AM
        In a message dated 4/3/2005 2:25:23 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
        lizziewriter@... writes:

        I like pretty books, and more than that I like sturdy books, but I get
        nervous of really nice volumes because then I am afraid of them getting
        beat-up when we read them. It would be nice if someone eventually weighs
        in on other volumes, in terms of collections and also commentary, although
        if you ask me, Lovecraft stands pretty well on his own. My introduction
        was many years ago, in the form of a paperback volume with the delightful
        (she says sarcastically) cover showing a flower growing out of a dead man's
        mouth. Anyone have that one?

        Does acid-free paper mean that after a dozen-odd years you can still fold
        the pages? Although I guess the ribbon is supposed to preclude that habit.

        There are a number of collections of Lovecraft already published, and there
        are undoubtedly going to be many more coming out eventually, each with
        different selections of what the editor thinks is the best of Lovecraft. Nobody has
        published a definitive edition of Lovecraft, I believe. I think the
        closest you can get to owning a complete set of his fiction is to buy a bunch of
        the older paperback editions of his works. Maybe someday we can hope for a
        complete annotated edition of his works.

        Acid-free paper means that the paper won't get yellow and hence won't break
        easily. It's not a good idea to fold a page for any kind of paper though.
        Anyway, acid-free editions will last much longer.

      • Christine Howlett
        Message 3 of 12 , Apr 4 12:13 PM
          Dog-earing good books probably earns you more time in purgatory - at least
          that was my Mom's religion! I tear off scraps of newspaper or pieces of
          cloth if I can't find a 'real' bookmark....
          Christine
          > Does acid-free paper mean that after a dozen-odd years you can still fold
          > the pages? Although I guess the ribbon is supposed to preclude that
          habit.

          > There are a number of collections of Lovecraft already published, and
          there
          > are undoubtedly going to be many more coming out eventually, each with
          > different selections of what the editor thinks is the best of Lovecraft.
          Nobody has
          > published a definitive edition of Lovecraft, I believe. I think the
          > closest you can get to owning a complete set of his fiction is to buy a
          bunch of
          > the older paperback editions of his works. Maybe someday we can hope for
          > complete annotated edition of his works.
          >
          > Acid-free paper means that the paper won't get yellow and hence won't
          break
          > easily. It's not a good idea to fold a page for any kind of paper
          though.
          > Anyway, acid-free editions will last much longer.
          >
          > Wendell Wagner

          > Yahoo! Groups Links

        • Elizabeth Apgar Triano
          Message 4 of 12 , Apr 4 12:22 PM
            Well, most of my books are used, and while I do use all kinds of eclectic
            things for bookmarks, I've always dog-eared them. Blame my dad. And I'm
            passing on the trait, although I suppose I should teach the kids not to do
            it to borrowed books.

            It's better than not reading. And I thought this WAS purgatory.

            Lizzie, not terribly repentant

            Elizabeth Apgar Triano
            lizziewriter@...
            amor vincit omnia
            www.lizziewriter.com
            www.danburymineralogicalsociety.org

          • juliet@firinn.org
            Message 5 of 12 , Apr 4 12:39 PM
              On Mon, Apr 04, 2005 at 03:13:01PM -0400, Christine Howlett wrote:

              > Dog-earing good books probably earns you more time in purgatory - at least
              > that was my Mom's religion! I tear off scraps of newspaper or pieces of
              > cloth if I can't find a 'real' bookmark....

              Am I the only one who just memorizes page numbers? With cheap and non-fragile
              books I am also known to leave the book open face down, which I'm sure is as
              bad as dog-earing.

              Julie
            • Bonnie Callahan
              Message 6 of 12 , Apr 4 2:47 PM
                I use rubber bands as bookmarks, myself--if a cheapie. If not, a large hair
                elastic that isn't too tight!

                Bonnie