Re: [mythsoc] John Paul II

  • Debra Murphy
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 3, 2005
      Thanks, Bonnie! For Clan Murphy the man has long since been known as "John Paul the Great," and it consoles me a good deal that I've already heard this term spoken by others a dozen times at least in the last day or two.

      Debra Murphy
      www.debramurphy.com

      From: Bonnie Callahan <bonolatm@...>

      Signup at www.doteasy.com
    • dianejoy@earthlink.net
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 4, 2005
        John Paul II was my favorite Pope. I'm not Catholic, but I truly
        appreciated this man, and what he's done for the Church and the world, esp.
        WRT communism. I'm learning much about him, and what I've heard so far has
        been stellar. He's gone from lesser light into greater light, from glory
        to glory. I pray that we'll keep his legacy in mind as a new Pope follows;
        he's got big shoes to fill. I'd like to read some of his plays; have they
        been collected? ---djb

        From: Bonnie Callahan <bonolatm@...>

        Signup at www.doteasy.com

        Yahoo! Groups Links

        http://mail2web.com/ .
      • Elizabeth Apgar Triano
        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 4, 2005
          I would be interested to keep track of the candidates as they select a new
          pope. I'm not RC either, but I read a little on the BBC site (I think) the
          other day and I would like to read more. I especially was interested to
          read how so many Catholics today live in South America, and one of the men
          that seems a possible choice is Brazilian. Should I just keep checking the
          BBC or does anyone have advice?

          I'll bet that if his work isn't already out, it will be soon! And in nice
          collectible volumes, too.

          I still have to read up on Rowan Williams. He's my guy. ;-)

          Lizzie

          Elizabeth Apgar Triano
          lizziewriter@...
          amor vincit omnia
          www.lizziewriter.com
          www.danburymineralogicalsociety.org

        • AMV Howard
          Message 4 of 7 , Apr 4, 2005
            The plays of Karol Wojtyla have been collected (as Amazon.com so
            helpfully informed me on Saturday); however, they appear to be out of
            print and the price has suddenly spiked (Oh, if only I had bought a
            volume when it was on sale for a mere $50...)

            Remember (as I told my class today) that the election of a pope is not
            the sort of election we're used to in America. The ballot isn't
            limited to just the people on the lists that keep getting tossed
            around; those are just the men who are percieved to be the most likely
            choices. Historically, though, such lists have been poor predictors;
            once the Cardinals go into seclusion, all bets are off.

            I still haven't found one website that gives satisfactory details on
            the process of election and the profiles of the papibili, but I'm
            about to settle in for a nice concentrated search, and I'll be sure to
            share if I come up with a good one.

            /A

            On Apr 4, 2005 12:42 PM, Elizabeth Apgar Triano
            <lizziewriter@...> wrote:

            > I would be interested to keep track of the candidates as they select a new
            > pope. I'm not RC either, but I read a little on the BBC site (I think) the
            > other day and I would like to read more. I especially was interested to
            > read how so many Catholics today live in South America, and one of the men
            > that seems a possible choice is Brazilian. Should I just keep checking the
            > BBC or does anyone have advice?
            >
            > I'll bet that if his work isn't already out, it will be soon! And in nice
            > collectible volumes, too.
            >
            > I still have to read up on Rowan Williams. He's my guy. ;-)
            >
            > Lizzie
            >
            > Elizabeth Apgar Triano
            > lizziewriter@...
            > amor vincit omnia
            > www.lizziewriter.com
            > www.danburymineralogicalsociety.org

          • Debra Murphy
            Message 5 of 7 , Apr 4, 2005
              They made a movie of one of the plays, _The Jeweller's Shop_. It
              starred Burt Lancaster and Olivia Hussey. Not a brilliant film, as I
              recall, but quite nice.

              Debra Murphy
              www.debramurphy.com

              Signup at www.doteasy.com
            • Stolzi
              Message 6 of 7 , Apr 5, 2005
                I love it that this group's first (or, at least, second) reaction to the
                Pope's death should be: Buy Books!

                It's so like us :)

                It has been speculated that the Pope who succeeds John Paul will be named
                George Ringo.

                Diamond Proudbrook