Re: [mythsoc] John Paul II

  • Bonnie Callahan
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 2 10:01 PM
      Hello to you all:

      I'm posting to offer my condolences to those of you who lost your
      spiritual leader today. He was an extraordinary man. Anyone who
      skiied, hiked, wrote plays, confronted the Communists....what a
      winner.

      Yrs. with respect,
      Bonnie
    • Debra Murphy
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 3 10:57 AM
        Thanks, Bonnie! For Clan Murphy the man has long since been known as "John Paul the Great," and it consoles me a good deal that I've already heard this term spoken by others a dozen times at least in the last day or two.

        Debra Murphy
        www.debramurphy.com

        From: Bonnie Callahan <bonolatm@...>

        Signup at www.doteasy.com
      • dianejoy@earthlink.net
        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 4 9:22 AM
          John Paul II was my favorite Pope. I'm not Catholic, but I truly
          appreciated this man, and what he's done for the Church and the world, esp.
          WRT communism. I'm learning much about him, and what I've heard so far has
          been stellar. He's gone from lesser light into greater light, from glory
          to glory. I pray that we'll keep his legacy in mind as a new Pope follows;
          he's got big shoes to fill. I'd like to read some of his plays; have they
          been collected? ---djb

          From: Bonnie Callahan <bonolatm@...>

          Signup at www.doteasy.com

          Yahoo! Groups Links

          http://mail2web.com/ .
        • Elizabeth Apgar Triano
          Message 4 of 7 , Apr 4 9:42 AM
            I would be interested to keep track of the candidates as they select a new
            pope. I'm not RC either, but I read a little on the BBC site (I think) the
            other day and I would like to read more. I especially was interested to
            read how so many Catholics today live in South America, and one of the men
            that seems a possible choice is Brazilian. Should I just keep checking the
            BBC or does anyone have advice?

            I'll bet that if his work isn't already out, it will be soon! And in nice
            collectible volumes, too.

            I still have to read up on Rowan Williams. He's my guy. ;-)

            Lizzie

            Elizabeth Apgar Triano
            lizziewriter@...
            amor vincit omnia
            www.lizziewriter.com
            www.danburymineralogicalsociety.org

          • AMV Howard
            Message 5 of 7 , Apr 4 3:03 PM
              The plays of Karol Wojtyla have been collected (as Amazon.com so
              helpfully informed me on Saturday); however, they appear to be out of
              print and the price has suddenly spiked (Oh, if only I had bought a
              volume when it was on sale for a mere $50...)

              Remember (as I told my class today) that the election of a pope is not
              the sort of election we're used to in America. The ballot isn't
              limited to just the people on the lists that keep getting tossed
              around; those are just the men who are percieved to be the most likely
              choices. Historically, though, such lists have been poor predictors;
              once the Cardinals go into seclusion, all bets are off.

              I still haven't found one website that gives satisfactory details on
              the process of election and the profiles of the papibili, but I'm
              about to settle in for a nice concentrated search, and I'll be sure to
              share if I come up with a good one.

              /A

              On Apr 4, 2005 12:42 PM, Elizabeth Apgar Triano
              <lizziewriter@...> wrote:

              > I would be interested to keep track of the candidates as they select a new
              > pope. I'm not RC either, but I read a little on the BBC site (I think) the
              > other day and I would like to read more. I especially was interested to
              > read how so many Catholics today live in South America, and one of the men
              > that seems a possible choice is Brazilian. Should I just keep checking the
              > BBC or does anyone have advice?
              >
              > I'll bet that if his work isn't already out, it will be soon! And in nice
              > collectible volumes, too.
              >
              > I still have to read up on Rowan Williams. He's my guy. ;-)
              >
              > Lizzie
              >
              > Elizabeth Apgar Triano
              > lizziewriter@...
              > amor vincit omnia
              > www.lizziewriter.com
              > www.danburymineralogicalsociety.org

            • Debra Murphy
              Message 6 of 7 , Apr 4 10:12 PM
                They made a movie of one of the plays, _The Jeweller's Shop_. It
                starred Burt Lancaster and Olivia Hussey. Not a brilliant film, as I
                recall, but quite nice.

                Debra Murphy
                www.debramurphy.com

                Signup at www.doteasy.com
              • Stolzi
                Message 7 of 7 , Apr 5 8:36 AM
                  I love it that this group's first (or, at least, second) reaction to the
                  Pope's death should be: Buy Books!

                  It's so like us :)

                  It has been speculated that the Pope who succeeds John Paul will be named
                  George Ringo.

                  Diamond Proudbrook