Tolkien and Women

  • Stolzi
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 2, 2005
      On this topic may I recommend a series of very interesting chapters in the
      book

      THE UNCHARTED REALMS OF TOLKIEN by Alex Lewis and Elizabeth Currie.

      ISBN 0-9453207-0-0

      Not currently available from Amazon US, but you might try libraries, or
      Malcolm Lindley of the British Tolkien Society (who sold me mine) at
      malcx@....

      It can also be obtained apparently from www.amazon.co.uk, 21 pounds plus
      shipping and a "hard-to-find" charge of 1.99 pounds "excluding VAT."

      The first of the chapters involved traces the whole history of "the woman
      question" through Tolkien's lifetime, and the remaining chapters are titled
      "Elves and Wild Women; The 'Silmarillion' ", "Lily-maids and Amazons in
      Middle-Earth", and "The Professor and the Mariner's Wife."

      Besides these you have in addition several rewarding chapters on other
      aspects of JRRT's writing.

      Diamond Proudbrook
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 2, 2005
        In a message dated 4/2/2005 2:35:08 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
        Stolzi@... writes:

        THE UNCHARTED REALMS OF TOLKIEN by Alex Lewis and Elizabeth Currie.

        ISBN 0-9453207-0-0

        Not currently available from Amazon US, but you might try libraries, or
        Malcolm Lindley of the British Tolkien Society (who sold me mine) at
        malcx@....

        It can also be obtained apparently from www.amazon.co.uk, 21 pounds plus
        shipping and a "hard-to-find" charge of 1.99 pounds "excluding VAT."

        Incidentally, Alex Lewis, who is a long-time member of the Tolkien Society,
        will almost certainly be at Tolkien 2005 this summer in Birmingham.
        Elizabeth Currie is actually his girlfriend Ruth Lacon, who has been in the Tolkien
        Society almost as long. When I spoke to them about the book, Ruth gave me an
        explanation which I don't remember about why she decided to use a pseudonym
        on the book.