Re: [mythsoc] Lovecraft volume now in "Library of America"

  • Elizabeth Apgar Triano
    Message 1 of 12 , Apr 1, 2005
      I like pretty books, and more than that I like sturdy books, but I get
      nervous of really nice volumes because then I am afraid of them getting
      beat-up when we read them. It would be nice if someone eventually weighs
      in on other volumes, in terms of collections and also commentary, although
      if you ask me, Lovecraft stands pretty well on his own. My introduction
      was many years ago, in the form of a paperback volume with the delightful
      (she says sarcastically) cover showing a flower growing out of a dead man's
      mouth. Anyone have that one?

      Does acid-free paper mean that after a dozen-odd years you can still fold
      the pages? Although I guess the ribbon is supposed to preclude that habit.

      Elizabeth Apgar Triano
      lizziewriter@...
      amor vincit omnia
      www.lizziewriter.com
      www.danburymineralogicalsociety.org

    • Jon Brisbin
      Message 2 of 12 , Apr 1, 2005
        I started reading these stories last night. I was commenting to my wife
        that in all these stories (a DelRey edition of them, anyway) there
        wasn't a single line of dialog to be found! Of course there might be one
        or two, but I flipped through most of the book and didn't find any.

        I'm still amazed that he could pull it off with all that "telling" :-)

        Jon Brisbin

        Daniel Dimitroff wrote:
        > Most of the Dream-Cycle stories are missing:
        > Dream-Quest of Unknown Kadath, The Silver Key, Through the Gates of the
        > Silver Key.
        >
        > Dan
        >
        > --- "Carl F. Hostetter" <Aelfwine@...> wrote:
        > <snip>
        >
        >>Though no expert, that looks pretty comprehensive to me.
        >>
        >>----

      • Carl F. Hostetter
        Message 3 of 12 , Apr 1, 2005
          Ah, yes. (I'd heard of the first of those, but not the latter two.)
          Hopefully "LoA" will have a follow-up volume with the remaining
          writings (as is their standard practice). Or perhaps these are later
          stories that are still under copyright, and the "LoA" can't secure
          rights to them?
          Message 4 of 12 , Apr 3, 2005
            In a message dated 4/3/2005 2:25:23 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
            lizziewriter@... writes:

            I like pretty books, and more than that I like sturdy books, but I get
            nervous of really nice volumes because then I am afraid of them getting
            beat-up when we read them. It would be nice if someone eventually weighs
            in on other volumes, in terms of collections and also commentary, although
            if you ask me, Lovecraft stands pretty well on his own. My introduction
            was many years ago, in the form of a paperback volume with the delightful
            (she says sarcastically) cover showing a flower growing out of a dead man's
            mouth. Anyone have that one?

            Does acid-free paper mean that after a dozen-odd years you can still fold
            the pages? Although I guess the ribbon is supposed to preclude that habit.

            There are a number of collections of Lovecraft already published, and there
            are undoubtedly going to be many more coming out eventually, each with
            different selections of what the editor thinks is the best of Lovecraft. Nobody has
            published a definitive edition of Lovecraft, I believe. I think the
            closest you can get to owning a complete set of his fiction is to buy a bunch of
            the older paperback editions of his works. Maybe someday we can hope for a
            complete annotated edition of his works.

            Acid-free paper means that the paper won't get yellow and hence won't break
            easily. It's not a good idea to fold a page for any kind of paper though.
            Anyway, acid-free editions will last much longer.

          • Christine Howlett
            Message 5 of 12 , Apr 4, 2005
              Dog-earing good books probably earns you more time in purgatory - at least
              that was my Mom's religion! I tear off scraps of newspaper or pieces of
              cloth if I can't find a 'real' bookmark....
              Christine
              > Does acid-free paper mean that after a dozen-odd years you can still fold
              > the pages? Although I guess the ribbon is supposed to preclude that
              habit.

              > There are a number of collections of Lovecraft already published, and
              there
              > are undoubtedly going to be many more coming out eventually, each with
              > different selections of what the editor thinks is the best of Lovecraft.
              Nobody has
              > published a definitive edition of Lovecraft, I believe. I think the
              > closest you can get to owning a complete set of his fiction is to buy a
              bunch of
              > the older paperback editions of his works. Maybe someday we can hope for
              > complete annotated edition of his works.
              >
              > Acid-free paper means that the paper won't get yellow and hence won't
              break
              > easily. It's not a good idea to fold a page for any kind of paper
              though.
              > Anyway, acid-free editions will last much longer.
              >
              > Wendell Wagner

              > Yahoo! Groups Links

            • Elizabeth Apgar Triano
              Message 6 of 12 , Apr 4, 2005
                Well, most of my books are used, and while I do use all kinds of eclectic
                things for bookmarks, I've always dog-eared them. Blame my dad. And I'm
                passing on the trait, although I suppose I should teach the kids not to do
                it to borrowed books.

                It's better than not reading. And I thought this WAS purgatory.

                Lizzie, not terribly repentant

              • juliet@firinn.org
                Message 7 of 12 , Apr 4, 2005
                  On Mon, Apr 04, 2005 at 03:13:01PM -0400, Christine Howlett wrote:

                  > Dog-earing good books probably earns you more time in purgatory - at least
                  > that was my Mom's religion! I tear off scraps of newspaper or pieces of
                  > cloth if I can't find a 'real' bookmark....

                  Am I the only one who just memorizes page numbers? With cheap and non-fragile
                  books I am also known to leave the book open face down, which I'm sure is as
                  bad as dog-earing.

                  Julie
                • Bonnie Callahan
                  Message 8 of 12 , Apr 4, 2005
                    I use rubber bands as bookmarks, myself--if a cheapie. If not, a large hair
                    elastic that isn't too tight!

                    Bonnie