RE: [mythsoc] Lovecraft volume now in "Library of America"

  • Elizabeth Apgar Triano
    Message 1 of 12 , Mar 31, 2005
      What distinguishes this volume from the various other Lovecraft collections
      that come up on amazon if you search "Tales Lovecraft"? I have some
      Lovecraft stashed away here, and I've read and reread a number of his
      stories, but if there is a good economical omnibus volume then I'd like to
      hear about it.

      Lizzie

      Elizabeth Apgar Triano
      lizziewriter@...
      amor vincit omnia
      www.lizziewriter.com
      www.danburymineralogicalsociety.org

      > The Library of America has published a Lovecraft volume, _Tales_:
      >

      > http://www.loa.org/volume.jsp?RequestID=223

    • Carl F. Hostetter
      Message 2 of 12 , Apr 1 3:08 AM
        I'm coming to Lovecraft later than most here, so I can't really speak
        to previous collections. But the mere fact that Lovecraft is being
        recognized by inclusion in the "Library of America" series strikes me
        as significant.

        Furthermore, in my opinion, "LoA" volumes are attractive, and they are
        certainly well-made (cloth covers, w/ ribbon, sewn signatures,
        acid-free paper), which alone likely puts it ahead of most available
        collections.

        This collection includes 22 stories:

        The Statement of Randolp Carter
        The Outsider
        The Music of Erich Zann
        Herbert West -- Reanimator
        The Lurking Fear
        The Rats in the Walls
        The Shunned House
        The Horror at Red Hook
        He
        Cool Air
        The Call of Cthulhu
        Pickman's Model
        The Case of Charles Dexter Ward
        The Colour Out of Space
        The Dunwich Horror
        The Whisperer in Darkness
        At the Mountains of Madness
        The Shadow Over Innsmouth
        The Dreams in the Witch House
        The Thing on the Doorstep
        The Shadow Out of Time
        The Haunter of the Dark

        Though no expert, that looks pretty comprehensive to me.

        ----

        On Mar 31, 2005, at 4:41 PM, Elizabeth Apgar Triano wrote:

        > What distinguishes this volume from the various other Lovecraft
        > collections
        > that come up on amazon if you search "Tales Lovecraft"? I have some
        > Lovecraft stashed away here, and I've read and reread a number of his
        > stories, but if there is a good economical omnibus volume then I'd
        > like to
        > hear about it.
        >
        > Lizzie
        >
        > Elizabeth Apgar Triano
        > lizziewriter@...
        > amor vincit omnia
        > www.lizziewriter.com
        > www.danburymineralogicalsociety.org
        >

        >> The Library of America has published a Lovecraft volume, _Tales_:
        >>

        >> http://www.loa.org/volume.jsp?RequestID=223

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Elizabeth Apgar Triano
        Message 3 of 12 , Apr 1 6:53 AM
          I like pretty books, and more than that I like sturdy books, but I get
          nervous of really nice volumes because then I am afraid of them getting
          beat-up when we read them. It would be nice if someone eventually weighs
          in on other volumes, in terms of collections and also commentary, although
          if you ask me, Lovecraft stands pretty well on his own. My introduction
          was many years ago, in the form of a paperback volume with the delightful
          (she says sarcastically) cover showing a flower growing out of a dead man's
          mouth. Anyone have that one?

          Does acid-free paper mean that after a dozen-odd years you can still fold
          the pages? Although I guess the ribbon is supposed to preclude that habit.

        • Daniel Dimitroff
          Message 4 of 12 , Apr 1 9:04 AM
            Most of the Dream-Cycle stories are missing:
            Dream-Quest of Unknown Kadath, The Silver Key, Through the Gates of the
            Silver Key.

            Dan

            --- "Carl F. Hostetter" <Aelfwine@...> wrote:
            <snip>
            > Though no expert, that looks pretty comprehensive to me.
            >
            > ----

            http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
          • Jon Brisbin
            Message 5 of 12 , Apr 1 9:22 AM
              I started reading these stories last night. I was commenting to my wife
              that in all these stories (a DelRey edition of them, anyway) there
              wasn't a single line of dialog to be found! Of course there might be one
              or two, but I flipped through most of the book and didn't find any.

              I'm still amazed that he could pull it off with all that "telling" :-)

              Jon Brisbin

              Daniel Dimitroff wrote:
              > Most of the Dream-Cycle stories are missing:
              > Dream-Quest of Unknown Kadath, The Silver Key, Through the Gates of the
              > Silver Key.
              >
              > Dan
              >
              > --- "Carl F. Hostetter" <Aelfwine@...> wrote:
              > <snip>
              >
              >>Though no expert, that looks pretty comprehensive to me.
              >>
              >>----

            • Carl F. Hostetter
              Message 6 of 12 , Apr 1 11:11 AM
                Ah, yes. (I'd heard of the first of those, but not the latter two.)
                Hopefully "LoA" will have a follow-up volume with the remaining
                writings (as is their standard practice). Or perhaps these are later
                stories that are still under copyright, and the "LoA" can't secure
                rights to them?
                Message 7 of 12 , Apr 3 11:37 AM
                  In a message dated 4/3/2005 2:25:23 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
                  lizziewriter@... writes:

                  I like pretty books, and more than that I like sturdy books, but I get
                  nervous of really nice volumes because then I am afraid of them getting
                  beat-up when we read them. It would be nice if someone eventually weighs
                  in on other volumes, in terms of collections and also commentary, although
                  if you ask me, Lovecraft stands pretty well on his own. My introduction
                  was many years ago, in the form of a paperback volume with the delightful
                  (she says sarcastically) cover showing a flower growing out of a dead man's
                  mouth. Anyone have that one?

                  Does acid-free paper mean that after a dozen-odd years you can still fold
                  the pages? Although I guess the ribbon is supposed to preclude that habit.

                  There are a number of collections of Lovecraft already published, and there
                  are undoubtedly going to be many more coming out eventually, each with
                  different selections of what the editor thinks is the best of Lovecraft. Nobody has
                  published a definitive edition of Lovecraft, I believe. I think the
                  closest you can get to owning a complete set of his fiction is to buy a bunch of
                  the older paperback editions of his works. Maybe someday we can hope for a
                  complete annotated edition of his works.

                  Acid-free paper means that the paper won't get yellow and hence won't break
                  easily. It's not a good idea to fold a page for any kind of paper though.
                  Anyway, acid-free editions will last much longer.

                • Christine Howlett
                  Message 8 of 12 , Apr 4 12:13 PM
                    Dog-earing good books probably earns you more time in purgatory - at least
                    that was my Mom's religion! I tear off scraps of newspaper or pieces of
                    cloth if I can't find a 'real' bookmark....
                    Christine
                    > Does acid-free paper mean that after a dozen-odd years you can still fold
                    > the pages? Although I guess the ribbon is supposed to preclude that
                    habit.

                    > There are a number of collections of Lovecraft already published, and
                    there
                    > are undoubtedly going to be many more coming out eventually, each with
                    > different selections of what the editor thinks is the best of Lovecraft.
                    Nobody has
                    > published a definitive edition of Lovecraft, I believe. I think the
                    > closest you can get to owning a complete set of his fiction is to buy a
                    bunch of
                    > the older paperback editions of his works. Maybe someday we can hope for
                    > complete annotated edition of his works.
                    >
                    > Acid-free paper means that the paper won't get yellow and hence won't
                    break
                    > easily. It's not a good idea to fold a page for any kind of paper
                    though.
                    > Anyway, acid-free editions will last much longer.
                    >
                    > Wendell Wagner

                    > Yahoo! Groups Links

                  • Elizabeth Apgar Triano
                    Message 9 of 12 , Apr 4 12:22 PM
                      Well, most of my books are used, and while I do use all kinds of eclectic
                      things for bookmarks, I've always dog-eared them. Blame my dad. And I'm
                      passing on the trait, although I suppose I should teach the kids not to do
                      it to borrowed books.

                      It's better than not reading. And I thought this WAS purgatory.

                      Lizzie, not terribly repentant

                    • juliet@firinn.org
                      Message 10 of 12 , Apr 4 12:39 PM
                        On Mon, Apr 04, 2005 at 03:13:01PM -0400, Christine Howlett wrote:

                        > Dog-earing good books probably earns you more time in purgatory - at least
                        > that was my Mom's religion! I tear off scraps of newspaper or pieces of
                        > cloth if I can't find a 'real' bookmark....

                        Am I the only one who just memorizes page numbers? With cheap and non-fragile
                        books I am also known to leave the book open face down, which I'm sure is as
                        bad as dog-earing.

                        Julie
                      • Bonnie Callahan
                        Message 11 of 12 , Apr 4 2:47 PM
                          I use rubber bands as bookmarks, myself--if a cheapie. If not, a large hair
                          elastic that isn't too tight!

                          Bonnie