Learning Anglo Saxon

  • Elizabeth Katz
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 31, 2005
      I'd like to learn to read some of Tolkien's source material in the
      original language. Can anyone suggest ways I might learn Anglo Saxon
      without access to a course? Books? Online?

      Thanks,

      Liz
    • Larry Swain
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 31, 2005
        Yes. Go to http://members.aol.com/heroicage1/as.htm#lang and you'll find a number of online tools to learn Old English. I might suggest in particular Peter Baker's grammar listed there and/or Murray McGillivray's online course as perhaps the best of the best.

        Larry Swain

        > I'd like to learn to read some of Tolkien's source material in the
        > original language. Can anyone suggest ways I might learn Anglo Saxon
        > without access to a course? Books? Online?
        >
        > Thanks,
        >
        > Liz

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

        From your mailbox to local or overseas cell phones.

        Powered by Outblaze
      • Elizabeth Katz
        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 31, 2005
          Thanks, Larry. This should keep me occupied for a while!

          On Mar 31, 2005, at 1:38 PM, Larry Swain wrote:

          > Yes. Go to http://members.aol.com/heroicage1/as.htm#lang
        • Stolzi
          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 31, 2005
            There's a bilingual BEOWULF on line. This is wonderful reading, and the
            translation is right there handy. With its help you can "sort of" read the
            Anglo-Saxon if you understand anything about word-roots and how they change
            over time. Besides, BEOWULF was a tremendously important thing in Tolkien's
            life.

            http://www.heorot.dk/beo-intro-rede.html

            I recommend it. There is also a paperback edition of a bilingual BEOWULF
            you can buy, by Howell D. Chickering. I actually like this better than the
            Seamus Heaney version - of which I am not sure the bilingual is readily
            available.

            Diamond Proudbrook
          • Elizabeth Katz
            Message 5 of 7 , Mar 31, 2005
              Thanks for this. I had an Old/Middle English Languages course in
              college-- so very long ago. Hopefully it won't take me too long to pick
              up enough skill to make my way.
              Liz

              On Mar 31, 2005, at 2:22 PM, Stolzi wrote:

              > There's a bilingual BEOWULF on line. This is wonderful reading, and
              > the
              > translation is right there handy. With its help you can "sort of"
              > read the
              > Anglo-Saxon if you understand anything about word-roots and how they
              > change
              > over time. Besides, BEOWULF was a tremendously important thing in
              > Tolkien's
              > life.
              >
              > http://www.heorot.dk/beo-intro-rede.html
              >
              > I recommend it. There is also a paperback edition of a bilingual
              > BEOWULF
              > you can buy, by Howell D. Chickering. I actually like this better
              > than the
              > Seamus Heaney version - of which I am not sure the bilingual is readily
              > available.
              >
              > Diamond Proudbrook

              > Yahoo! Groups Links

            • Ellen ("Carnimiriel")
              Message 6 of 7 , Mar 31, 2005
                Stolzi wrote:

                >There is also a paperback edition of a bilingual BEOWULF
                >you can buy, by Howell D. Chickering.

                I read this many years ago and really enjoyed it. It is a lot of fun to
                see the Old English and try to read it even though I never did more than
                dabble. If you've had German it makes some sense visually.

                Ellen
              • Pauline J. Alama
                Message 7 of 7 , Apr 3, 2005
                  --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, Elizabeth Katz <lizkz@m...> wrote:
                  Bright's Old English Grammar & Reader probably costs a bundle, but
                  it's a nice, clear primer if you REALLY want to take on this task in
                  your spare time. You might try posting on ANSAX-L (a list for Anglo-
                  Saxon scholars, listserv@...) or ENGLISC-L (the list for
                  conversation in Anglo-Saxon, listserv@...) to ask if
                  anyone has a used copy they'd like to sell you.

                  Be prepared for a lot of work. There is no getting around the dull,
                  rote task of memorizing the declensions. This isn't like Shakespearean
                  English or even Middle English, which you can hack your way through
                  until habit makes it familiar. Anglo-Saxon is a lot more like Frisian
                  than like Modern English.

                  But the work has certain rewards, especially if you like the
                  alliterative poetry Tolkien wrote in imitation of OE. And to misquote
                  Star Trek, you haven't experienced BEowulf till you've read it in the
                  original Klingon! ;-)

                  Pauline J. Alama
                  THE EYE OF NIGHT (Bantam Spectra 2002)
                  www.geocities.com/paulinejalama.PaulineAlama.html