RE: [mythsoc] The Monsters and the Critics

  • Croft, Janet B.
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 29, 2005
      Here's what I found for my recent paper analyzing citations to Beowulf:
      The Monsters and the Critics. All of these include the full text of the
      essay:

      Bloom, Harold, ed. Beowulf. Chelsea House, 1987.
      Fry, Donald K., ed. The Beowulf Poet: A Collection of Critical Essays.
      Englewood Cliffs: Prentice-Hall, 1968.
      Fulk, R.D., ed. Interpretations of Beowulf: A Critical Anthology.
      Bloomington: Indiana U.P., 1991.
      Nicholson, Lewis E. An Anthology of Beowulf Criticism. Notre Dame: U. of
      Notre Dame P., 1963.
      Tolkien, J. R. R. Beowulf and the Critics. Medieval and Renaissance
      Texts and Studies. Vol. 248. Tempe AZ: Arizona Center for Medieval and
      Renaissance Studies, 2002.
      ---. Beowulf: The Monsters and the Critics. London: The British Academy,
      1936.
      ---. The Monsters and the Critics and Other Essays. London:
      HarperCollins, 1997.

      Janet Brennan Croft
      Head of Access Services
      University of Oklahoma Libraries
      Bizzell 104NW
      Norman OK 73019
      405-325-1918
      Fax 405-325-7618
      jbcroft@...
      http://libraries.ou.edu/
      "In early days, I tried not to give librarians any trouble, which was
      where I made my primary mistake. Librarians like to be given trouble;
      they exist for it, they are geared to it. For the location of a mislaid
      volume, an uncatalogued item, your good librarian has a ferret's nose.
      Give her a scent and she jumps the leash, her eye bright with battle."
      Catherine Drinker Bowen (1897-1973), U.S. biographer. Adventures of a
      Biographer, ch. 9 (1959).