Lovecraft volume now in "Library of America"

  • Carl F. Hostetter
    Message 1 of 12 , Mar 28 8:48 PM
      The Library of America has published a Lovecraft volume, _Tales_:

      "In this volume, the distinguished best-selling novelist Peter Straub
      brings together the very best of Lovecraft's fiction in a treasury
      guaranteed to bring fright and delight both to longtime fans and to
      readers new to his work. Including such classics as "The Shadow Over
      Innsmouth" and "The Colour Out of Space," these stories, whether set in
      old New England towns oppressed by memories of unholy pasts or in
      Antarctic wastes that disclose appalling extraterrestrial secrets,
      never fail to fascinate."

      http://www.loa.org/volume.jsp?RequestID=223

      I have never read any Lovecraft, so I'm looking forward to delving into
      this collection. For those who don't know, LoA volumes are an
      attractive, sturdy, acid-free, standard, and reasonably priced library
      of great American authors.
    • Elizabeth Apgar Triano
      Message 2 of 12 , Mar 31 1:41 PM
        What distinguishes this volume from the various other Lovecraft collections
        that come up on amazon if you search "Tales Lovecraft"? I have some
        Lovecraft stashed away here, and I've read and reread a number of his
        stories, but if there is a good economical omnibus volume then I'd like to
        hear about it.

        Lizzie

        Elizabeth Apgar Triano
        lizziewriter@...
        amor vincit omnia
        www.lizziewriter.com
        www.danburymineralogicalsociety.org

        Message 3 of 12 , Apr 1, 2005
          I'm coming to Lovecraft later than most here, so I can't really speak
          to previous collections. But the mere fact that Lovecraft is being
          recognized by inclusion in the "Library of America" series strikes me
          as significant.

          Furthermore, in my opinion, "LoA" volumes are attractive, and they are
          certainly well-made (cloth covers, w/ ribbon, sewn signatures,
          acid-free paper), which alone likely puts it ahead of most available
          collections.

          This collection includes 22 stories:

          The Statement of Randolp Carter
          The Outsider
          The Music of Erich Zann
          Herbert West -- Reanimator
          The Lurking Fear
          The Rats in the Walls
          The Shunned House
          The Horror at Red Hook
          He
          Cool Air
          The Call of Cthulhu
          Pickman's Model
          The Case of Charles Dexter Ward
          The Colour Out of Space
          The Dunwich Horror
          The Whisperer in Darkness
          At the Mountains of Madness
          The Shadow Over Innsmouth
          The Dreams in the Witch House
          The Thing on the Doorstep
          The Shadow Out of Time
          The Haunter of the Dark

          Though no expert, that looks pretty comprehensive to me.

          ----

          On Mar 31, 2005, at 4:41 PM, Elizabeth Apgar Triano wrote:

          > What distinguishes this volume from the various other Lovecraft
          > collections
          > that come up on amazon if you search "Tales Lovecraft"? I have some
          > Lovecraft stashed away here, and I've read and reread a number of his
          > stories, but if there is a good economical omnibus volume then I'd
          > like to
          > hear about it.
          >
          > Lizzie
          >
          > Elizabeth Apgar Triano
          > lizziewriter@...
          > amor vincit omnia
          > www.lizziewriter.com
          > www.danburymineralogicalsociety.org
          >

          >> The Library of America has published a Lovecraft volume, _Tales_:
          >>

          >> http://www.loa.org/volume.jsp?RequestID=223

          > Yahoo! Groups Links

        • Elizabeth Apgar Triano
          Message 4 of 12 , Apr 1, 2005
            I like pretty books, and more than that I like sturdy books, but I get
            nervous of really nice volumes because then I am afraid of them getting
            beat-up when we read them. It would be nice if someone eventually weighs
            in on other volumes, in terms of collections and also commentary, although
            if you ask me, Lovecraft stands pretty well on his own. My introduction
            was many years ago, in the form of a paperback volume with the delightful
            (she says sarcastically) cover showing a flower growing out of a dead man's
            mouth. Anyone have that one?

            Does acid-free paper mean that after a dozen-odd years you can still fold
            the pages? Although I guess the ribbon is supposed to preclude that habit.

          • Daniel Dimitroff
            Message 5 of 12 , Apr 1, 2005
              Most of the Dream-Cycle stories are missing:
              Dream-Quest of Unknown Kadath, The Silver Key, Through the Gates of the
              Silver Key.

              Dan

              --- "Carl F. Hostetter" <Aelfwine@...> wrote:
              <snip>
              > Though no expert, that looks pretty comprehensive to me.
              >
              > ----

              http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
            • Jon Brisbin
              Message 6 of 12 , Apr 1, 2005
                I started reading these stories last night. I was commenting to my wife
                that in all these stories (a DelRey edition of them, anyway) there
                wasn't a single line of dialog to be found! Of course there might be one
                or two, but I flipped through most of the book and didn't find any.

                I'm still amazed that he could pull it off with all that "telling" :-)

                Jon Brisbin

                Daniel Dimitroff wrote:
                > Most of the Dream-Cycle stories are missing:
                > Dream-Quest of Unknown Kadath, The Silver Key, Through the Gates of the
                > Silver Key.
                >
                > Dan
                >
                > --- "Carl F. Hostetter" <Aelfwine@...> wrote:
                > <snip>
                >
                >>Though no expert, that looks pretty comprehensive to me.
                >>
                >>----

              • Carl F. Hostetter
                Message 7 of 12 , Apr 1, 2005
                  Ah, yes. (I'd heard of the first of those, but not the latter two.)
                  Hopefully "LoA" will have a follow-up volume with the remaining
                  writings (as is their standard practice). Or perhaps these are later
                  stories that are still under copyright, and the "LoA" can't secure
                  rights to them?
                  Message 8 of 12 , Apr 3, 2005
                    In a message dated 4/3/2005 2:25:23 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
                    lizziewriter@... writes:

                    I like pretty books, and more than that I like sturdy books, but I get
                    nervous of really nice volumes because then I am afraid of them getting
                    beat-up when we read them. It would be nice if someone eventually weighs
                    in on other volumes, in terms of collections and also commentary, although
                    if you ask me, Lovecraft stands pretty well on his own. My introduction
                    was many years ago, in the form of a paperback volume with the delightful
                    (she says sarcastically) cover showing a flower growing out of a dead man's
                    mouth. Anyone have that one?

                    Does acid-free paper mean that after a dozen-odd years you can still fold
                    the pages? Although I guess the ribbon is supposed to preclude that habit.

                    There are a number of collections of Lovecraft already published, and there
                    are undoubtedly going to be many more coming out eventually, each with
                    different selections of what the editor thinks is the best of Lovecraft. Nobody has
                    published a definitive edition of Lovecraft, I believe. I think the
                    closest you can get to owning a complete set of his fiction is to buy a bunch of
                    the older paperback editions of his works. Maybe someday we can hope for a
                    complete annotated edition of his works.

                    Acid-free paper means that the paper won't get yellow and hence won't break
                    easily. It's not a good idea to fold a page for any kind of paper though.
                    Anyway, acid-free editions will last much longer.

                  • Christine Howlett
                    Message 9 of 12 , Apr 4, 2005
                      Dog-earing good books probably earns you more time in purgatory - at least
                      that was my Mom's religion! I tear off scraps of newspaper or pieces of
                      cloth if I can't find a 'real' bookmark....
                      Christine
                      > Does acid-free paper mean that after a dozen-odd years you can still fold
                      > the pages? Although I guess the ribbon is supposed to preclude that
                      habit.

                      > There are a number of collections of Lovecraft already published, and
                      there
                      > are undoubtedly going to be many more coming out eventually, each with
                      > different selections of what the editor thinks is the best of Lovecraft.
                      Nobody has
                      > published a definitive edition of Lovecraft, I believe. I think the
                      > closest you can get to owning a complete set of his fiction is to buy a
                      bunch of
                      > the older paperback editions of his works. Maybe someday we can hope for
                      > complete annotated edition of his works.
                      >
                      > Acid-free paper means that the paper won't get yellow and hence won't
                      break
                      > easily. It's not a good idea to fold a page for any kind of paper
                      though.
                      > Anyway, acid-free editions will last much longer.
                      >
                      > Wendell Wagner

                      > Yahoo! Groups Links

                    • Elizabeth Apgar Triano
                      Message 10 of 12 , Apr 4, 2005
                        Well, most of my books are used, and while I do use all kinds of eclectic
                        things for bookmarks, I've always dog-eared them. Blame my dad. And I'm
                        passing on the trait, although I suppose I should teach the kids not to do
                        it to borrowed books.

                        It's better than not reading. And I thought this WAS purgatory.

                        Lizzie, not terribly repentant

                      • juliet@firinn.org
                        Message 11 of 12 , Apr 4, 2005
                          On Mon, Apr 04, 2005 at 03:13:01PM -0400, Christine Howlett wrote:

                          > Dog-earing good books probably earns you more time in purgatory - at least
                          > that was my Mom's religion! I tear off scraps of newspaper or pieces of
                          > cloth if I can't find a 'real' bookmark....

                          Am I the only one who just memorizes page numbers? With cheap and non-fragile
                          books I am also known to leave the book open face down, which I'm sure is as
                          bad as dog-earing.

                          Julie
                        • Bonnie Callahan
                          Message 12 of 12 , Apr 4, 2005
                            I use rubber bands as bookmarks, myself--if a cheapie. If not, a large hair
                            elastic that isn't too tight!

                            Bonnie