Topic Drift Madness

  • Bonnie Callahan
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 29, 2005
      Agreed, Joan!

      I had 240 messages on my server today (2/3 from all you lovely Mythies),
      piled up since Friday. When I joined Mythsoc a month or so ago there were
      2 or 3 every few days.

      Everyone let's try this. Instead of posting to all of us, start a "new message"

      and paste in the address of one or two individuals you want feedback from
      regarding your point. This is part of my learning curve as regards the use
      of "Listserve" technology.

      However, I've truly appreciated all your contributions. I just need to actually

      READ'em all instead of merely scanning!

      Best,
      Bonnie

    • Walkermonk@aol.com
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 29, 2005
        In a message dated 3/29/2005 2:18:49 AM Central Standard Time,
        bonolatm@... writes:
        Everyone let's try this. Instead of posting to all of us, start a "new
        message"

        and paste in the address of one or two individuals you want feedback from
        regarding your point.
        ---

        The only problem I have with this is that I don't know everyone on the List,
        and there is a great probability of feedback from someone I wouldn't think to
        address privately. Which is why I love this List -- I don't know who is the
        expert on what, and it's always such fine finding out!

        Also, not all arguments are bad. I like the whole "iron sharpening iron" that
        goes on here, and I certainly wouldn't get that if everyone was worried about
        hurting my feelings and so didn't just come right out and say what they mean.
        But that's just me, I guess.

        Grace Monk

      • jamcconney@aol.com
        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 29, 2005
          When I've got heavy projects in hand, I'm a bit of a scanner. I follow the
          threads I find interesting. Then, when my current project is off to wherever
          it goes, I sometimes can't resist jumping in with my two cents. That makes me
          a rather off and on contributor--but it doesn't mean I don't enjoy the posts
          of others. So I guess I vote for keeping the postings to the whole list. I
          suspect others are in the same situation, so you never know who's going to pop
          out of the woodwork on what topic. Makes it more fun!
          Anne

        • Carl F. Hostetter
          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 29, 2005
            On Mar 29, 2005, at 3:16 AM, Bonnie Callahan wrote:

            > Everyone let's try this. Instead of posting to all of us, start a "new
            > message"
            > and paste in the address of one or two individuals you want feedback
            > from
            > regarding your point.

            Another way to accomplish the same goal is, if person A asks person B
            to elaborate on something person B claimed, let's not have persons C,
            D, E, etc. chime in with their speculations, distractions, political
            points, claims that we shouldn't ask questions about any topic unless
            we've read everything written on it, etc. Which is just what happened
            here. I asked John a simple question:

            In response, Mike Foster, noted peacemaker and discussion facilitator,
            decided to lecture me about "biopolitics":

            and then to tell me to shut up and read everything Lewis wrote:

            And then we were off to the races.
          • Bonnie Callahan
            Message 5 of 7 , Mar 29, 2005
              Hi Grace & company:

              The option's there if any individual prefers it.

              Bonnie

              Walkermonk@... wrote:

              > In a message dated 3/29/2005 2:18:49 AM Central Standard Time,
              > bonolatm@... writes:
              > Everyone let's try this. Instead of posting to all of us, start a "new
              > message"
              >
              > and paste in the address of one or two individuals you want feedback from
              > regarding your point.
              > ---
              >
              > The only problem I have with this is that I don't know everyone on the List,
              > and there is a great probability of feedback from someone I wouldn't think to
              > address privately. Which is why I love this List -- I don't know who is the
              > expert on what, and it's always such fine finding out!
              >
              > Also, not all arguments are bad. I like the whole "iron sharpening iron" that
              > goes on here, and I certainly wouldn't get that if everyone was worried about
              > hurting my feelings and so didn't just come right out and say what they mean.
              > But that's just me, I guess.
              >
              > Grace Monk

              > Yahoo! Groups Links

            • Ginger McElwee
              Message 6 of 7 , Mar 29, 2005
                I agree with Grace. I would not like to see discussions become private.
                The whole point of a list like this one is to allow
                a large number of people to discuss a topic. I seldom participate, but
                I read all the posts, and I would hate to miss any of
                the fun.

                Ginger McElwee

                ---
                Grace wrote:
                >The only problem I have with this is that I don't know everyone on the
                List,
                >and there is a great probability of feedback from someone I wouldn't
                think to
                >address privately. Which is why I love this List -- I don't know who is
                the
                >expert on what, and it's always such fine finding out!

                Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                HYPERLINK
                "http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=129tfqoku/M=298184.6018725.7038619.3001176/
                D=groups/S=1705020227:HM/EXP=1112192136/A=2593423/R=0/SIG=11el9gslf/*htt
                p:/www.netflix.com/Default?mqso=60190075"click here

                HYPERLINK
                "http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=298184.6018725.7038619.3001176/D=group
                s/S=:HM/A=2593423/rand=197663162"

                _____

                Yahoo! Groups Links
                HYPERLINK
                "http://groups.yahoo.com/group/mythsoc/"http://groups.yahoo.com/group/my
                thsoc/

                HYPERLINK
                "mailto:mythsoc-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com?subject=Unsubscribe"mythsoc-

                Internal Virus Database is out-of-date.
              • Carl F. Hostetter
                Message 7 of 7 , Mar 29, 2005
                  In addition to which, can anyone say that _nothing_ was learned from
                  this exchange? Even with the messiness of it all, much insight and
                  learning was offered, and I know I'm not the only one who learned a few
                  things about Lewis. I regret the hurt feelings, of course, but I'd like
                  to think we can set them aside, learn from our mistakes, do better next
                  time, and move on in our shared love of Our Three Authors.