And Now For Something Completely Different...

  • Stolzi
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 28 5:28 PM
      I have been reading Alex Lewis' and Elizabeth Currie's UNCHARTED REALMS OF
      TOLKIEN and I burst out laughing when I got to this remark in a discussion
      of "Tom Bombadil." Thought I would share it:

      "In the 1930's and 1940's Pan disappeared from English literature. This was
      partly due to a continuing change in taste. It was also due to the explicit
      figure of Pan being replaced by the similar but nameless and 'archetypal'
      figure of the 'horned god', who performed the same function as
      representative of nature and saviour of the English from respectability."

      Diamond Proudbrook