Re: Can we please get back to literature and related culture? Re: [mythsoc] Reply to Carl

  • Carl F. Hostetter
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 28, 2005
      On Mar 28, 2005, at 7:24 PM, Mike Foster wrote:

      > In my experience, Lizzie is correct, and no matter how "polite and
      > scholarly" the discussion of abortion is at the start, the argument
      > can swiftly deteriorate into a quarrel.

      I have absolutely no doubt that that is true in _your_ experience.

      Nonetheless, the discussion in question is not "of abortion", but of
      comparative abortion _rates_ and how that might have affected Lewis's
      perception of its suitability or importance as a topic of discussion of
      Christian morals and Screwtapian influences.

      If people want to turn that into a quarrel -- as manifestly some on
      this list do -- I can't help that. But I'm not going to let that stop
      me from attempting to either validate, refute, support, or cast doubt
      on matters as they arise in connection with discussion of Our Three
      Authors. _I_ can stick to the point, even if others can't. And I am
      _not_ going to have my legitimate and topical inquiry silenced by those
      who can't. Unless, of course, the list moderator requires me to do so
      (since that is her right even if I think it unjustified).