Re: [mythsoc] . . . on Women

  • Carl F. Hostetter
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 28, 2005
      On Mar 28, 2005, at 6:17 PM, Rateliff, John wrote:

      >> David Lenander wrote
      >
      >> Furthermore, I would part from agreeing with Mary that an assertion
      >> that women are mentally inferior doesn't mean that they are inferior
      >> in some absolute sense.
      >>
      > Having grown up in pre-integration Arkansas, I'm possibly
      > oversensitive to claims that a person who thinks a particular group is
      > inferior nonetheless isn't prejudiced against them.

      You're assuming the conclusion here. The argument wasn't that it isn't
      wrong to think some group inferior: the argument was that just because
      one might believe that women as a group have less capacity for
      intellectual attainment than men (as it was being argued Tolkien and
      Lewis did), that does not mean that they necessarily regard them as
      inferior beings (particularly not as regards to individuals).