The list as I see it vis a vis Christianity

  • Carl F. Hostetter
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 28, 2005
      1) This list is _not_ a Christian forum for the discussion of Tolkien,
      Lewis, and Williams. But this list _is_ a forum for the discussion of
      three famously and characteristically Christian authors: Tolkien,
      Lewis, and Williams.

      2) Therefore, while it is by no means necessary that all forum members
      be Christian, or that all forum members accept Christian
      morality(/ies), however that is defined or delineated, as valid and
      true, it is by the same token not to be denied that Our Three Authors
      were themselves Christians, and not to be prohibited to us to discuss
      their work, lives, and thought in the context of Christian
      morality(/ies), however that is defined or delineated, and vice versa.

      3) Therefore, the discussion of issues such as abortion and euthanasia
      _in the context of the work, lives, and thought_ of Our Three Authors,
      _including_ in the context of their characteristically Christian work
      and thought, is _not_ _prima facie_ to be regarded or prohibited as
      off-topic, no matter how much some members of this forum may disagree
      with the Christian perspective of Our Three Authors on these subjects.

      4) None of the above is to be construed as an argument that abortion,
      euthanasia, or any other moral subject is on-topic for this list _per
      se_; that is, divorced from any connection with the work, lives, or
      thought of Our Three Authors.