Re: Digest Number 35

  • Nagy Gergely
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 4, 1999

      > Nagy, thank you for your prompt return mail. It helped. Tolkien was a
      > quintessential essentialist, wasn't he -- as he believed in the Imago Dei?
      > Maria T.

      Yes indeed he was, probably that's the thing because of which I like him
      most. I don't want to deny this or circumnavigate this theoretically, kind
      of 'apologising' for him in today's theoretical context; rather, to
      expand, modify or, if need be, subvert that context to include such texts
      and to be able to deal with them. It was even yesterday that we have been
      talking of Tolkien's work as a 'simulacrum', or as close to it as any
      author has ever come, and that's highly unpopular a conception nowadays.
      Anyway, I'm glad we are getting on.
      [sorry, but Gergely is the first name, I forget to mention this every time
      I join a new list and consequently have everybody calling me Nagy...]
    • Diane Baker
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 4, 1999
        Nagy Gergely wrote:

        > From: Nagy Gergely <lamorak@....u-szeged.hu>
        >

        > > Nagy, thank you for your prompt return mail. It helped. Tolkien was a
        > > quintessential essentialist, wasn't he -- as he believed in the Imago Dei?
        > > Maria T.

        That would sure be true; I'd guess that most Christians would believe in
        the Imago Dei, making us "essentialists." We are merely saying that
        humanity is not "plastic," and that change does not easily come from the
        outside but from the inside. What these post-modern critics have
        against this notion, I can't quite understand, unless they simply
        question the whole notion of any essential truth or reality, and that
        all is perception.

        > Yes indeed he was, probably that's the thing because of which I like him most. I don't want to deny this or circumnavigate this theoretically, kind of 'apologising' for him in today's theoretical context; rather, to expand, modify or, if need be, subvert that context to include such texts
        > and to be able to deal with them. It was even yesterday that we have been talking of Tolkien's work as a 'simulacrum', or as close to it as any author has ever come, and that's highly unpopular a conception nowadays.

        Tolkien himself spoke of his own work as a "sub-creation." As a
        brilliant literary critic (you may be familiar with his articles on
        Beowulf, most esp. "The Monsters and the Critics"), he certainly could
        look at his own work and discuss what went into its formation. His "On
        Fairy Stories" gives a good beginning.

        > Anyway, I'm glad we are getting on. [sorry, but Gergely is the first name, I forget to mention this every time I join a new list and consequently have everybody calling me Nagy...]

        I'm afraid I thought of you as Nagy rather than Gergely. How is it
        pronounced? We're very wedded to word order for names. What do you
        prefer to be called? We also do a lot of nicknames here; do you have
        one? ---djb
      • LeslieJ55@xxx.xxx
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 4, 1999
          lamorak@....u-szeged.hu writes:

          > es indeed he was, probably that's the thing because of which I like him
          > most. I don't want to deny this or circumnavigate this theoretically, kind
          > of 'apologising' for him in today's theoretical context; rather, to
          > expand, modify or, if need be, subvert that context to include such texts
          > and to be able to deal with them. It was even yesterday

          Nagy,
          can you possibly put this into Plain English? I am very educated, but you have
          lost me entirely.

          Leslie