The Monsters and the Critics

  • Joan.Marie.Verba@sff.net
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 27, 2005
      Our Rivendell group is planning on discussing Tolkien's The Monsters and the
      Critics. I thought I had read this, and I thought I had it in my personal
      library, but if I do, I can't find it now.

      Can anyone tell me which books this has been published in?

      Thanks,
      Joan
    • Carl F. Hostetter
      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 27, 2005
        You can find it in Christopher Tolkien (ed.), _J.R.R. Tolkien: The
        Monsters and the Critics and Other Essays_.

        It's also been reprinted in certain anthologies of Beowulf criticism.

        On Mar 27, 2005, at 9:43 AM, Joan.Marie.Verba@... wrote:

        > Our Rivendell group is planning on discussing Tolkien's The Monsters
        > and the
        > Critics. I thought I had read this, and I thought I had it in my
        > personal
        > library, but if I do, I can't find it now.
        >
        > Can anyone tell me which books this has been published in?
        >
        > Thanks,
        > Joan
      • Patrick Wynne
        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 27, 2005
          Joan Verba asked, re Tolkien's "The Monsters and the Critics":

          > Can anyone tell me which books this has been published in?

          To which Carl replied:

          > You can find it in Christopher Tolkien (ed.), _J.R.R. Tolkien: The
          > Monsters and the Critics and Other Essays_.
          >
          > It's also been reprinted in certain anthologies of Beowulf criticism.

          No no NO! The proper reply on _this_ esteemed list is as follows:

          "Joan, stop bothering us with your questions and go read
          the published works of J.R.R. Tolkien -- you'll find the essay
          in there somewhere."

          ;-)

          Pat
        • Walkermonk@aol.com
          Message 4 of 9 , Mar 27, 2005
            In a message dated 3/27/2005 1:56:12 PM Central Standard Time,
            pwynne@... writes:
            No no NO! The proper reply on _this_ esteemed list is as follows:

            "Joan, stop bothering us with your questions and go read
            the published works of J.R.R. Tolkien -- you'll find the essay
            in there somewhere."

            ;-)

            Pat
            ---

            God bless you, Pat. I hope you have a wonderful, blessed day.

            love,
            Grace Monk

          • Rateliff, John
            Message 5 of 9 , Mar 27, 2005
              Great choice for a discussion book. Here's a handy link to the trade paperback edition.

              http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/search-handle-form/103-8551360-7648628

              It's also been released several times as a stand-alone book(let), which is a really good way to read it.

              I'm pretty sure it appears in the collection THE BEOWULF POET: A COLLECTION OF CRITICAL ESSAYS, ed. Donald K. Fry (1968), which also I think contains Sisam's essay proposing the existance of an Old English "poetic diction" that, like Tolkien's, revolutionized understanding of O.E. poetry.

              I'm told that Jane Chance has edited an anthology in which Tolkien's essay is reprinted, but I don't have that reference with me.

              Finally, for those who don't mind used books, there's always www.bookfinder.com, which lists it at prices ranging from $11.06 to $9,139.48, the latter being for serious collectors or at least people made out of money:

              http://www.bookfinder.com/search/?author=&title=%22The+Monsters+and+the+Critics%22&submit=Begin+Search&new_used=*¤cy=USD&mode=basic&st=sr&ac=qr

              > ----------
              > Joan Marie Verba wrote
              >
              > Subject: [mythsoc] The Monsters and the Critics
              >
              > Our Rivendell group is planning on discussing Tolkien's The Monsters and the
              > Critics. I thought I had read this, and I thought I had it in my personal
              > library, but if I do, I can't find it now.
              >
              > Can anyone tell me which books this has been published in?
              >
              > Thanks,
              > Joan

            • Carl F. Hostetter
              Message 6 of 9 , Mar 27, 2005
                On Mar 27, 2005, at 7:53 PM, Rateliff, John wrote:

                > I'm pretty sure it appears in the collection THE BEOWULF POET: A
                > COLLECTION OF CRITICAL ESSAYS, ed. Donald K. Fry (1968),

                Yes, it does. I was trying to remember the editor of that collection,
                and couldn't bring it to mind. Thanks. It is, or at any rate used to
                be, available in an inexpensive paperback version, to boot.
                Message 7 of 9 , Mar 27, 2005
                  In a message dated 3/27/2005 2:56:05 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
                  pwynne@... writes:

                  No no NO! The proper reply on _this_ esteemed list is as follows:

                  "Joan, stop bothering us with your questions and go read
                  the published works of J.R.R. Tolkien -- you'll find the essay
                  in there somewhere."

                  Let's see. I think that I would have to jump in with "You see, Joan has
                  asked a fourth-order question about Tolkien. It's impossible to answer unless
                  you read all of Tolkien's works. There's no way to understand what Tolkien
                  believed about _Beowulf_ unless you can speak both Quenya and Sindarin
                  fluently."

                • Carl F. Hostetter
                  Message 8 of 9 , Mar 27, 2005
                    On Mar 27, 2005, at 8:29 PM, WendellWag@... wrote:

                    > In a message dated 3/27/2005 2:56:05 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
                    > pwynne@... writes:
                    >
                    > No no NO! The proper reply on _this_ esteemed list is as follows:
                    >
                    > "Joan, stop bothering us with your questions and go read
                    > the published works of J.R.R. Tolkien -- you'll find the essay
                    > in there somewhere."
                    >

                    > Let's see. I think that I would have to jump in with "You see, Joan
                    > has
                    > asked a fourth-order question about Tolkien. It's impossible to
                    > answer unless
                    > you read all of Tolkien's works. There's no way to understand what
                    > Tolkien
                    > believed about _Beowulf_ unless you can speak both Quenya and Sindarin
                    > fluently."
                    >
                    > Wendell Wagner

                    LOL! (On both accounts!)
                  • Croft, Janet B.
                    Message 9 of 9 , Mar 29, 2005
                      Here's what I found for my recent paper analyzing citations to Beowulf:
                      The Monsters and the Critics. All of these include the full text of the
                      essay:

                      Bloom, Harold, ed. Beowulf. Chelsea House, 1987.
                      Fry, Donald K., ed. The Beowulf Poet: A Collection of Critical Essays.
                      Englewood Cliffs: Prentice-Hall, 1968.
                      Fulk, R.D., ed. Interpretations of Beowulf: A Critical Anthology.
                      Bloomington: Indiana U.P., 1991.
                      Nicholson, Lewis E. An Anthology of Beowulf Criticism. Notre Dame: U. of
                      Notre Dame P., 1963.
                      Tolkien, J. R. R. Beowulf and the Critics. Medieval and Renaissance
                      Texts and Studies. Vol. 248. Tempe AZ: Arizona Center for Medieval and
                      Renaissance Studies, 2002.
                      ---. Beowulf: The Monsters and the Critics. London: The British Academy,
                      1936.
                      ---. The Monsters and the Critics and Other Essays. London:
                      HarperCollins, 1997.

                      Janet Brennan Croft
                      Head of Access Services
                      University of Oklahoma Libraries
                      Bizzell 104NW
                      Norman OK 73019
                      405-325-1918
                      Fax 405-325-7618
                      jbcroft@...
                      http://libraries.ou.edu/
                      "In early days, I tried not to give librarians any trouble, which was
                      where I made my primary mistake. Librarians like to be given trouble;
                      they exist for it, they are geared to it. For the location of a mislaid
                      volume, an uncatalogued item, your good librarian has a ferret's nose.
                      Give her a scent and she jumps the leash, her eye bright with battle."
                      Catherine Drinker Bowen (1897-1973), U.S. biographer. Adventures of a
                      Biographer, ch. 9 (1959).
                      Our Rivendell group is planning on discussing Tolkien's The Monsters and
                      the Critics. I thought I had read this, and I thought I had it in my
                      personal library, but if I do, I can't find it now.

                      Can anyone tell me which books this has been published in?

                      Thanks,
                      Joan

                      http://us.click.yahoo.com/S.QlOD/3MnJAA/Zx0JAA/DtIolB/TM

                      Links