Re: [mythsoc] [Fwd: Summer Study in Oxford]

  • Stolzi@aol.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 13, 2000
      In a message dated 4/13/00 12:47:27 PM Central Daylight Time,
      dbratman@... writes:

      > "Rector of Exeter College". Wow. That's the head of the college. What
      > would Tolkien have thought of a woman at the head of his old college?
      > (What would _Lewis_ have thought?)

      Oh, I dono. Lewis had cordial relations with many academic women & respected
      their abilities. And come to think of it, Lewis was not the hottest speller
      in the world, maybe =he= would have written "Jane Austin" upon occasion :)

      Mary S
    • LSolarion@aol.com
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 16, 2000
        In a message dated 04/12/2000 5:21:37 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
        WendellWag@... writes:

        <<
        Have any of you read any of the continuations of _The Screwtape Letters_
        written by other authors? I've read three of them, and they all stink.
        They
        consist of the authors whining about how they don't like someone else's
        politics. They make you appreciate what a good writer Lewis was. He wrote
        about sins that anyone, and especially Lewis himself, could commit.

        I have only read one, and I agree with Wendell's opinion. Lewis wrote on at
        least two occasions that he didn't believe in lecturing others on how to
        resist temptations to which he himself was not subject. It would be an easier
        world for evangelization (not to mention other things) if more Christians
        followed his advice. (And yes, moralizing is a temptation of mine, as this
        notice in itself will attest. Quite a nice bundle of paradoxes, eh?)