Re: [mythsoc] [Fwd: Summer Study in Oxford]

  • Stolzi@aol.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 12, 2000
      In a message dated 4/12/00 5:30:28 PM Central Daylight Time,
      verba001@... writes:

      > Professor Marilyn Butler, Rector of Exeter College, Oxford and Professor
      > of English Literature, has edited works by Jane Austin and Mary Shelley,

      Agh! I hope Professor Butler, herself, at least can spell "Jane Austen."
    • David S. Bratman
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 13, 2000
        On Wed, 12 Apr 2000 Stolzi@... wrote:

        > > Professor Marilyn Butler, Rector of Exeter College, Oxford and Professor
        > > of English Literature, has edited works by Jane Austin and Mary Shelley,
        >
        > Agh! I hope Professor Butler, herself, at least can spell "Jane Austen."

        Evidently, judging from her book _Jane Austen and the War of Ideas_ (1975).

        "Rector of Exeter College". Wow. That's the head of the college. What
        would Tolkien have thought of a woman at the head of his old college?
        (What would _Lewis_ have thought?)

        David Bratman